This chicken is ridiculous. Why ridiculous, you ask? Well for starters, it’s freaking delicious. Satisfying? Of course. Comforting? In every sense of the word. But here’s the real kicker. It’s healthy! Yayyyyyyyy. I want to eat it every day of my life forever and ever amen!
You know what this chicken reminded me of? Country fried steak. That crunchy, warm, tender chunk of meat smothered in a creamy gravy. It is the epitome of comfort food. And that is what this resembles. It causes me to have memories of sitting around the table with my whole family, filling our tummies till they feel like they might burst, quoting movies that only we know, laughing late into the night! I’d give just about anything for a moment like that right now! But instead, I will tell you of this meal…this meal that conjures up the best of memories and brings people together!! I hope you love it! 🙂
Oh oh oh oh one more thing!! I do not know why I have never thought of this before!! The BEST part of this dish is that it is super creamy! But getting a good, healthy, tasty creamy sauce is almost impossible with paleo standards!! But I had a genius idea!! Cauliflower!! Now I know it sounds crazy but don’t you doubt me!! Cauliflower seems to fix everything else…mashed potatoes, rice, pizza crust…why not to thicken sauces too? I was already planning to make mashed cauli for the side…so check out how I used it in the sauce as well!
So, here’s what you need:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, fat removed
- 1/2 C Almond or Coconut Flour (You may need a little extra of the almond if you go that route since it is not quite as fine)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 C Chicken Broth
- 1 C Unsweetened Original Almond Milk (Make sure it’s original!!)
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Medium Onion, Sliced
- 1 Package Mushrooms, Sliced
- Mashed Cauliflower (1 Head Cauliflower cut into florets and boiled, processed in a food processor with salt, pepper, grassfed butter, and a clove of garlic
And here’s how you do it:
- In a big Ziploc baggie, combine the flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.
- Add the chicken (in batches if necessary) and toss to coat well. Melt the butter in a deep cast iron skillet and add in the chicken. Brown well on both sides.
- When both sides are browned, pour in the broth , lemon, and almond milk. Whisk it a bit. Then add in the onions and mushrooms, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is a bit reduced.
- While you wait for the chicken, start your mashed cauliflower.
- When the 30 minutes is up, remove the chicken and most of the veggies and set aside. Take about 3-4 Tbsp of the mashed cauliflower and whisk in to the sauce until it is thickened like a gravy. Simmer for a few minutes until warm and thick, then remove from the heat. Put your mashed cauliflower and chicken on a plate and drizzle with the gravy. Eat. Be comforted. And enjoy!
Prep your veggies!
Coat the chicken with your flour mixture. Melt the butter in a deep skillet and brown chicken well on both sides.
Stir in the liquids.
Add in the onions and mushrooms. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
While chicken is cooking, prepare your mashed cauliflower. When the 30 minutes are up, remove the chicken and most of the veggies and set aside.
Doesn’t it look deeeeeelicious already?!
Whisk in a heap of mashed cauliflower into the sauce until it is thickened like a gravy. Simmer for a couple of minutes until heated through and combined well.
Heap your mashed cauliflower onto the plate, add a piece of chicken, and drizzle with your gravy sauce. Yummyyyyyyyy. Have I mentioned that I love this meal?!