If that name itself doesn’t entice you, then I don’t think you are human. Or at least, you don’t have taste buds. Or a heart. One of the two. Hehe, just kidding.
I just have to say one thing. My dad is the bomb.
See, he came all the way from Washington to spend a week with me in New York! We had all these fun options of things to do with him, but you know what he wanted to do the most? Just be with his daughter and son in law, living life how they do. Experiencing their day to day. Sweet. 😉 Yes, I know I am getting mushy, but…you should be thankful, because it was his above mentioned attitude and desire that birthed this monster of a recipe. He knows how much I love my food blog, and that it brings me joy to create beautiful meals…so he decided that together, we had to create a fabulous idea from scratch. So we put our brains together, and this bad boy came into existence.
I tell you what. You won’t want to miss it! I don’t usually do mushrooms. I was shoving this sauce into my mouth as fast as I could! And the stuffed chicken was just such a fun combo! Man!!! You should try it! Maybe make it with a family member and spread the love! We had lots of fun dreaming it up, so we hope you can share in that!
So, here’s what you need:
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 6 Slices Quality Deli Salami
- 6 Slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Package Mushrooms, Sliced (or chopped into bits. Ours started sliced and ended chopped, haha!)
- 6 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 C Half and Half (We were splurging for celebration! If you want to keep in lines of my usual, slightly healtier habits…use almond milk and increase the amount of flour…use a good quality, healthier flour)
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Pinch of Oregano
And here’s how you do it:
- Slice your Swiss Cheese and remove 6 slices of salami from the bag (if you have extra, that is. You are going to be touching raw chicken, so you don’t want to grab one piece at a time and contaminate the rest! That’s good sammich meat there!)
- Carefully split your chicken lengthwise, but not all the way. Butterfly! If this is your first time butterflying a chicken breast, you can see my pictures below for help…and please be careful!
- Place a slice of salami and swiss on one half of each breast, folding as necessary so you don’t have a lot hanging over. Flop the chicken breast closed.
- Cook your chicken in a method you choose…baking or grilling would work great! We grilled ours in foil packets and it worked pretty well! You just have to be careful not to leave it on too long so it doesn’t dry out 🙂
- Now start your sauce!! Slice your mushrooms and mince the garlic!
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add mushrooms. Cook a few minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute or so, until you get a wonderful garlic smell!
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix in, and simmer until thickened.
- Spoon over cooked chicken, and devour!
With pictures!!:Slice your Swiss Cheese and remove 6 slices of salami from the bag (if you have extra, that is. You are going to be touching raw chicken, so you don’t want to grab one piece at a time and contaminate the rest! That’s good sammich meat there!)
Place chicken breast flat on your cutting board. Put your palm flat on top of the breast, and line the knife up lengthwise about halfway down. Slowly and carefully begin slicing toward the other end, but do not cut all the way through.
Here it is, butterflied. Open it up and lay it flat.
Place one slice of salami and swiss on top of one half of the breast. Take the other half and close it back up. Now cook it up how you wish…baking or grilling! Meanwhile….
Start your sauce! Slice up your mushrooms.
Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet….is it weird that just that is appetizing to me? Haha!
Add your mushrooms and begin to saute, and chop up if you want smaller pieces. We went this route! 🙂
Let cook a few minutes, until mushrooms begin to soften.
Add your garlic and stir in. Cook for about 30 seconds to a minute longer. You should be smelling a heavenly garlic smell right about now.
Now add the rest of the ingredients and stir in. Let simmer until it thickens to a wonderful creamy goodness.
Now place the chicken on a plate and drench in a big spoonful of sauce!
How good does that look?! Let me tell you….it is FANTASTIC!!
Here’s to you daddy, and a beautifully created meal!