I must apologize for a short stretch of silence there! You see, my little brother….(I call him my little brother, but let’s be honest here, he’s been bigger than me since oh, fifth grade? ;))…is moving to Virginia! And he stopped here on his way through!! He is still here, actually. I just decided I could take a moment to blog, because he and Mr. Rodgers are very much engrossed in a game of NFL Blitz on Nintendo 64 right now. Yeah. Be jealous!! Anywho, I haven’t abandoned you my friends, I have just been spending time with the fam. It is the most important thing in the world to me, and I haven’t seen my side for a year!! So I’m soaking up every minute!
But here I am! I promise I’m still cooking!! And here is a little treat for you! I call it breakfast, but in all honesty….the few days after I made this, it was more like breakfast granola…then mid morning snack granola…then lunch granola…then mid afternoon granola…you get the picture. 😉 I. LOVE. GRANOLA! But my options are limited since most granolas have sugar…or even if they are a healthy organic brand, they are mostly oatmeal. Which I LOVE, but definitely react to. Sad day! Needless to say, I was stoked when I found this Abel Jame’s recipe for “Caveman Crunch.” I tweaked it a bit, and whabam!! Granola is back in my life! I want it to be in your life too, so here you go:
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 C Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 C Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 C Almond Flour
- 1 C Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 C Almonds
- 1 C Pistachios (Shelled)
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 C Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/3-1/2 C Raw Honey (melted)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 C Raisins (THIS IS MY ADDITION! I am okay with raisins, but some paleo people are not! If you don’t want the added fruit sugar, then you can leave it out.)
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 325*
- If your almonds and pistachios are not slivered or chopped, then place them in a food processor and pulse until a good, granola-like consistency.
- Mix all dry ingredients (minus the raisins) in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Line a large cookie sheet with foil. Dump the wet ingredients over the dry and mix together till it is evenly coated. Spread it out on your cookie sheet. It should be in a nice thin layer.
- Bake in the oven until just starting to brown. The original says 25 minutes, but mine never lasted that long. You are cooking with honey, which burns VERY QUICKLY. So check it often, and stir it at least once while cooking. About 5-10 minutes before its done, sprinkle your raisins in. Remove, let it cool, and serve however makes you happy! I eat it in a bowl with unsweetened almond milk! Would also be good on top of some Greek yogurt…whatever you can think up!
Measure out your nuts!
Put them in a food processor if they didn’t come slivered or chopped…
And whiz until you get a good “granola” texture.
Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl minus the raisins.
Stir together all your wet ingredients.
Pour the wet stuff over the dry stuff and stir to coat. Spread thinly over a foil line cookie sheet.
Bake at 325* until just starting to brown, stirring at least once and keeping a sharp eye out for burning! Add raisins a few minutes before it is done.
Enjoy however you desire!!!