Don’t you love those “DUH!” moments?? Those times when you have an idea and feel like a genius for having said idea…but also feel like an idiot for not having that idea earlier? That is what happened with this recipe!! For quite a while now I have been taking favorite noodle recipes and substituting in spaghetti squash! Now as I have mentioned before, I do not think of or present the dish as a noodle dish when I do this…or the people consuming will expect it to taste exactly like noodles. But if you present it as a great spaghetti squash recipe, they will be overjoyed with the flavor, and they will be expecting it to be so different from noodles that they will be pleasantly surprised!
Well. We love stir fry in this house. But I had pretty much given up on noodle stir fry, even though it is my favorite version. Why had I never considered spaghetti squash stir fry?! But I was looking through this wonderful book you will remember:
…and I stumbled upon a recipe called “Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables.” Aka…chicken stir fry with noodles. I thought “oh man that looks tasty…” then suddenly….palm meet face!! SPAGHETTI SQUASH!
The great thing about this is that it is more of an idea than a recipe. Stir fry is such an open ended thing. It is so great because as long as you keep veggies in your fridge and some for of soy sauce and sesame oil…you don’t even have to plan ahead. You just chop chop, toss it in a wok and BAM! Nutritional dinner!! 🙂 Most of you probably already know how to do that! I just wanted to open your eyes to the new possibilities with spaghetti squash! But nevertheless, here is the general idea of what I did!
- 1 Small Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Head Broccoli or Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2-3 Large Chicken Breasts, Cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 or 2 Bell Peppers, Julienned
- 1 or 2 Large Carrots, sliced
- About 1/4 Lg Head Red Cabbage, Sliced
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
And here’s how you do it:
- Cook your spaghetti squash in advance, however you prefer to do this. I stab mine a bunch then roast at about 400* for an hour or so, turning once. It is done when the skin is very tender and easily pierced. Remove seeds and remove the flesh in strands with a fork. Set aside.
- Salt and Pepper your chunks of chicken. Heat the coconut oil in a wok and add chicken. Stir and cook until chicken is browned and cooked through…about 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add your onions into the wok and cook for about 2 minutes, until starting to get tender. Add garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds or so, then add in the rest of the veggies (minus the squash). I did not pre-cook my cauliflower but if you don’t want a crunch in the middle of your cauliflower or broccoli, feel free to steam or boil for a few minutes before hand. 🙂 Cook all the veggies, stirring, until everything is getting tender-crisp.
- Add the chicken back in and stir.
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Dump over stir fry. Stir in.
- Add in the spaghetti squash strands and toss it all together. Heat it through, then remove and serve! Garnish with sesame seeds if desired!! ENJOY!!!
Cook your spaghetti squash first! In the meantime, cook your chicken. Set aside.
Add your onions and cook for a few minutes. Add in garlic and stir, cooking about 30 seconds. Then dump in the rest of your veggies, minus the spaghetti squash. Cook until everything is tender crisp.
Add in the chicken and cook and stir..
Then add in the sauce…and last but not least the spaghetti squash! Toss everything to coat, heat through, then remove and serve!!