Yummy. I love me a good pot roast! This one…this is the best roast I have had in a while!! It had a sweet tanginess to it that was truly delightful!! Mixed with the classic warm, falling-apart nature of a roast…it was just the best!! And since I adapted it from my Abel James app, I know that it is clean eating, which just adds another level of satisfaction to the whole deal. It makes me happy, happy, happy!! I hope you love it too. Here’s the lo down:
What you need:
- 2+ lb Beef Roast
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Grassfed Butter
- 1 White Onion, Sliced
- 2 Carrots, Peeled and Sliced
- 1/2 C Balsamic Vinegar
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 C Water
- 2 Tbsp White Wine
And here’s how you do it!
- Coat both sides of your roast with all the spices.
- Heat your oil or butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once it is hot (but not smoking hot ;)) place your roast in there and sear for about 4 minutes per side.
- In the mean time, combine the vinegar and tomato sauce in a bowl.
- Place the onions and carrots in the bottom of a crock pot (you don’t want it to be a huge crock or else your roast wont be cooking in the juices!) and place the roast on top of them.
- Dump the tomato/vinegar mixture over the meat.
- Add the water and white wine to the pan you seared your meat in to deglaze the pan. Scrape up any leftover goodies, then dump this sauce over the meat as well.
- Turn the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
And you’re done and ready for yummy yummy deliciousness!
See the pictures! Unfortunately, pot roast is very difficult to make pretty for pictures. But here’s my attempt: 🙂
Getting that bad boy nice and flavorful!
Sear both sides
Aint it pretty? Few things make me happier than a beautiful seared piece of meat!
Place the veggies in the bottom of the crock pot
Place the roast on top
Stir together the vinegar and tomato sauce and pour it on top
Pour the water and wine into the hot pan to deglaze. Pour the liquid on top of the roast as well.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then enjoy your tasty treat!!
The veggies were delicious as well as the roast…the flavors all through were just amazing. 🙂 Let me know what you think!! How do you like making your roast?