Hey everybody!! I hope this finds you all happy, healthy, and whole!
Things are a little crazy around the Rodgers home, which means it has been a fight for health. Those busy days, when you’ve worked ungodly amounts in one day, and the blankets and Netflix are calling your name… Those are our weakness around here, and there have been a lot of them lately!! So if you think of us, send some prayers our way…because we want to feel good!! And feeling good starts with good food!
Speaking of good food…I have returned to the archives. And look what I found!! I so wish I was better at pictures because these really don’t do it justice…but this salad was FABULOUS!
Aweeee yeah baby. This salad had it all…satisfying, flavorful protein…crunchy veggies, and a creamy comfort from everyone’s favorite green thing…avocados! And the icing on the cake…(I feel like I should not be using that phrase…the dressing on the salad? Let’s start using that one instead, health nerds!!)…cabbage is cheap, pork is cheap…this meal is cheap!! Hallelujah healthy for your body and your budget!! So, you ready to find out how to make it for yourself?!
Note: the original calls for orange juice. Mr. Rodgers doesn’t do orange juice, too much sugar! So I substituted Wild Orange Essential Oil blended with Olive Oil. The flavor was fantastic, and it is much better for you!! My preferred brand is DoTerra. :). If you have questions on oils, leave me a comment and I can hook you up with my mom, she is an oil genius 😉
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb Boneless Pork Loin
- 3 Tbsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper (about 1 Tbsp of each)
- Pinch of Cinnamon (I added this for Mr. Rodgers, he LOVES it on meat)
- 3-4 Tbsp preferred cooking oil, recipe calls for olive oil but I don’t like heating it, I believe I used Coconut Oil
- 1 Two Pound head Green Cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 C Lime Juice (4ish limes)
- 1 Chile Pepper (I usually use Serrano)
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Ripe Avocadoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 3-4 Drops Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Cilanro Paste
- Sale and Pepper
- Optional: Toasted seeds of some kind, ie pumpkin seeds
And here’s how you do it!
- Combine cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Rub it alllllll over that pork.
- Heat your oil over medium high heat. Add the meat and cook 3-4 minutes per side so you have a nice sear, making sure it is done but not super done.
- Remove from heat and let sit while you assemble your salad.
- Whisk the orange oil into the olive oil so that it is combined and the flavor is infused. Feel free to taste and adjust depending on how strong you want the orange flavor.
- Combine everything but the meat in a large bowl (including your orange oil mixture).
- Slice your pork into thin slices and lay across the top of the salad. You are ready to enjoy!!