Yeah. Isn’t that title enough to make you drool already?! I’m drooling. Really. Two of my favorite things in the world? Asparagus. And bacon. Hallelujah!
This is a little gem from Abel James! The spice rub gives it a “barbecue” feel, the bacon adds that smokey flavor, and of course the asparagus gives you your greens! Not to mention it is probably the best vegetable. Ever. Can I get an amen?!
Whoo. Calm down Rodgers. Apparently this recipe makes me go gospel. PRAISE THE LORD! For bacon is delicious and His love never fails!! 😀
ANYWAYS! Back to the recipe! I used turkey bacon, because I am still up in arms about pork. I love pork. But does it love me? I just don’t know.
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 lb Asparagus, tough ends popped off
- 8 to 10 Slices Turkey Bacon
- 1/2 tsp each of: sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika (optional, add a dash of chipotle chile powder for a kick!)
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Combine spice mixture in a small bowl.
- After your asparagus is trimmed, separate it into 8 to 10 even piles, with 4-5 pieces each. Obviously this will depend on the size of your spears ;).
- Wrap the bacon around each bundle, taking care to not overlap too much, as you don’t want the bacon to be too thick or the bottom layer will not cook all the way.
- Lay your bundles on the baking sheet, with seam down. Sprinkle each bundle generously with your spice rub.
- Slide into your preheated oven and cook for 20 or more minutes, until asparagus is tender crisp and the bacon is cooked through.
- Serve along side a protein and be happy! This is most definitely a man pleaser! Even for a man that loves vegetables like my Mr. Rodgers…they always look more alluring when wrapped in bacon, haha!! Let me know how you like it!
Here’s my little bundles, all wrapped up and ready to go!
Then they got their spices!
And cooked…oh yummy!
Is your mouth watering yet?
It surprised me how much the spice rub acgtually did taste like barbecue!
And serve with your protein! This was with a lovely roasted chicken! And we actually got to sit down at the dinner table together and eat! It was amazing!! And then Mr. Rodgers did the cutest thing! His computer was sitting on the table, and he pulled up a video of a crackling fire place while we finished our dinner…it was so romantic!! I hope you guys have a memory just as sweet to go with this asparagus, hehe!