I really loved this for many reasons! First, because it is a diced salad, which I have never made before!! All the little uniform cubes of veggies were so cute and colorful, and made it easy to eat! Secondly, it’s just stinking delicious!! Refreshing, simple, and quite Mediterranean feeling! But lastly…and mostly…because this lovely little (actually, not so little, it makes a huge bowl of salad) salad comes with a SAVORY granola! Say whaaat?! Why yes. I had never heard of savory granola, nor ever comprehended the idea. But it was so delightful!! The perfect crunch! The dressing on the salad is extremely simple, so the granola adds layers of flavor and a hint of sophistication.
Those are all the reasons I love this salad! Let me tell you how to make it so you can discover all the reasons you will too! 🙂
This was ever so slightly adapted from one of my favorite books you may have heard me mention before, Deliciously Healthy Vegetables! I encourage all of you to look it up and give it a try! Click here to check it out!
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (Or Coconut Oil if you don’t like heating olive oil)
- 1 C Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 C Pumpkin Seeds (Make sure they are out of the shells. I may have missed that little detail, but it was still fun!)
- 1/4 C Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Medium Tomatoes, Diced (I’m not a huge fan of tomatoes so I decreased the amount…feel free to tweak!)
- 4 Medium Cucumbers, Diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Red Onion, Diced
- 1/3 C Parsley, Chopped
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
And here’s how you do it! It’s kind of fun!
- Heat your pan over medium-low and add your oil. I used my wonderful new big cast iron skillet!! Toss in your oats and stir around for a minute or so. Add the rest of the ingredients in your “granola” list and continue cooking for about 4 minutes or so, until it looks good and smells good! It should get a bit of a golden color. 🙂 Granola, check!
- Dice your veggies!!
- Put them all together in a large bowl…
- Whisk together your dressing and pour over your veggies, then toss.
- Sprinkle with granola and eat! (We let each person put the granola on top of their own bowl of salad, so they could choose how much they wanted!)
Now eat!! Let me show you my pictures, I am excited for you to see how colorful and pretty it is!
Gather your ingredients!! I love beautiful summer veggies!!
Start your granola! Heat your oil over medium low heat and toss in the oatmeal. Cook for a minute or so.
Add the rest of your granola ingredients. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
Now prep your veggies!!! Dice dice dice dice!! Oh!! Guess what?! I was so excited when I made this, becaaaause….I have been watching Food Network, and am always so amazed when they go to cut their bell peppers…and suddenly wabam! They are whipping them around and doing something fancy, and end up with perfect little uniform pieces! Well. For this salad…I did it!! For the first time!! Wanna see?!
First, you slice a small amount off both ends. Then you slice into it along it’s length, and run your knife along the flesh so that all the ribbing and seeds come off. Lookie!! How cool is that?!
Now you can julienne it! Which makes it super easy to dice it into perfect little squares!
Add your dressing ingredients and toss…
Yummy! Then, sprinkle some granola on top and eat it! Unfortunately, because of the rush I was in, I ended up not getting a photo with the granola on top. But you can take my word for it. It completes the dish absolutely! 🙂
So perfect for summer, I tell ya!!!