I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
Onion marmalade?! Who has ever heard of that?! I sure hadn’t until I was browsing Pinterest and saw a picture of one. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for fantastic new sauces to take a typical mid-week meal’s protein to the next level. Every day to extraordinary! This marmalade did not disappoint! In fact…we loved it so much that we made it again a few days later, haha!
Now garlic butter isn’t new or unheard of…but smeared around on a hot steak, then topped with this marmalade…it simply can’t be beat! So I wanted to inform you of the great potential it has in this dish. 😉
I’m sure you are intrigued, so let’s get down to business.
Adapted from bonapetit.com
So, here’s what you need:
- Steaks of choice! Something good for grilling!
- 2 Tbsp Butter (Or Coconut Oil)
- 3 Red Oinons, sliced
- 1/4 C Agave
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/3 C Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 C Water
- 1 Tbsp Thyme Leaves
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (A little heat is fantastic in this, do it to taste)
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Stick Butter
- 5 Garlic Cloves, or a tsp or more of garlic powder
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
And here’s how you do it:
- Start your onion marmalade almost an hour before you are ready to serve.
- Heat your butter or coconut oil over medium heat. Add in your onions and agave and cook for 35-45 minutes, so you have beautiful caramelized onions.
- Add the rest of the marmalade ingredients. Cook until the marmalade is thickened nicely, at the consistency you desire. Should take just a few minutes.
- Now…,for the garlic butter. You can do this two ways. The fancy, original way which is definitely the more “foodie” way. Put it all in a pan and melt it and cook it just for a minute or so, then remove from the heat and let it sit so the flavors can fuse. Or…if you are starving like I was and are just done waiting…put the butter in a microwave safe dish, melt it in the microwave and whisk in the garlic powder and pepper flakes. (You could use fresh garlic too, just microwave it with the butter.)
- Now you know how to do the rest. Grill your meat and baste it often with the garlic butter. Top with your fantastically delicious, sweet, kinda spicy, all delightful marmalade!! Yeaaaah!
Slice your onions and toss in a pot over medium heat with your oil and agave! Cook for 35-45 minutes until caramelized!
Now serve atop a garlic-butter-basted steak fresh from the grill!! Heavennnnn!
This is our little back porch picnic party, just me and my love, Mr. Rodgers!!