I love asparagus. Really I do. It makes me so happy…in fact I want some right now!!! But instead of getting off the couch and going grocery shopping….I’m tired…I will just tell you how to make it so one of us can enjoy it. 😉
That being said…this is actually a very simple, easy recipe! Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity, right? But what I think is even more beautiful is when a veggie recipe shines with flavor and creativity…when it seems fancy simply because no one thinks to do that with a veggie…but it is still very simple. And easy. That is the essence of this recipe! 😉 Tasty, creative, healthy, light and refreshing, and oh so easy!!! Read on my friends!
Adapted from http://www.onceuponachef.com
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Bunch Asparagus
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 C Feta
Are you excited about these flavors yet? I was. Heck. I still am.
Here’s how you do it!
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and trim your asparagus by bending the stalk until it pops off…or you can just trim the bottom inch or so, but if you let it pop off where it breaks naturally you have more of a guarantee of being free from tough bites.
- Toss your asparagus with about a Tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Dump the asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet and put in your oven to roast, until starting to get tender. This is going to depend on how thick the asparagus spears are, but I would start with about 8 minutes.
- Take the asparagus out and let it cool until you can handle it.
- Stir together the lemon juice, lemon zest, and remaining Tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cut asparagus into bite sized pieces. Place in a bowl and top with feta cheese, and drizzle with the “dressing.” You can give it a toss if you want. 🙂
- Admire it’s prettyness, then eat!!
I hope you enjoy this fresh, healthy, wonderful vegetable side dish! The lemon makes it so refreshing, and yet it is paired so well with the salty, tangy, WONDERFUL feta. I love feta cheese. 😉 Sidenote…I LOVE asparagus with fish. Fish is so light and flakey, and asparagus, while also fresh and healthy…is something satisfying to bite into. It’s decently hearty I’d say!! So hop on over to my last post, Simple Grilled Garlic Dijon Salmon for a fun pairing!
Try this recipe grilled or sauteed too!!