Hello everyone!! Guess what guess what guess what?! Mr. Rodgers and I…live in a new house!! His mother has been living with us in our small 2 bedroom apartment for almost 3 years now! But we finally found a place for super cheap, and it’s all ours!! And guess what else?!?!?! My kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! Minus a little old lady wall paper and needing an updated stove…it is just gorgeous and I love it I love it I love it!! I don’t have any pictures on me at the moment, but I can’t wait to share them with you!!
Anyways!! Back to cooking…I just had to shout that from the rooftops first because I figured if anyone understood my “new kitchen glee,” it would be a bunch of food nerds like you!!
I’m pulling this from a little while back, because my life has been consumed with packing and unpacking and cleaning then starting the cycle over. 😉 Pumpkin Chicken Chili! Yummm! I’ve been noticing there are still lots of squash around in the stores…and you can get canned pumpkin pretty much any time! So this recipe is pretty timeless! This was so thick and warm and comforting! And let’s just be honest, with the weather we have been having around here lately, we all need a little comfort. I don’t know what it is like where you are, but we are in the glorious span of time when you check the weather on your phone and see the “feels like” section and think “Yaaaaay it feels like -22*. Fuuuuuun.” You know something is weird when you wake up one morning, see that it is 16* outside and think to yourself “oh wow that’s not bad!” :I I am a pretty positive person, so I will just keep fighting to have a good attitude about the cold. It’s hard. But recipes like this help. Because they warm the insides, excite the taste buds, and make you forget your issues at least until you step outside your house again, hahah!
Ever so slightly adapted from the wonderful Caveman Feast, aka Abel James.
So here’s what you need:
- 3 lb Chicken Breast, Cubed
- 2 C Red Onion, Diced
- 2 C Bell Peppers, I used red and yellow, Diced
- 3 Jalapeños, Diced Small
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 C Chicken Stock (or more if you like it thinner)
- 1 C White Wine
- Lg Can Diced Tomatoes with Juice (28 oz)
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Cinnamon Stick
- 3 C Organic Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (Optional…I am trying to remember if I used it…I don’t think I did…but I’m sure it’s tasty!)
- Coconut Oil or Grass Fed Butter for Cooking
And here’s how you do it:
- Prep all your veggies and cut your chicken!
- Cook your chicken and set aside.
- Heat your coconut oil or butter in a large soup pot. Salute your onions until translucent. Add bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken and stir together.
- Add stock, wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, and all spices (excluding cocoa) and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin and cocoa powder and cook for about 5 more minutes, until everything is heated through. Enjoy!
For ease while cooking, gather all your ingredients and prep your veggies first 🙂
Cut your chicken breasts into bite size pieces
Brown on al sides with grass fed butter or coconut oil. Should mostly be cooked through.
Melt coconut oil or butter in a large soup pot and saute your onions until translucent.
Add bell peppers, jalapeños, and garlic…
Stir together and cook an additional 5 minutes!
Toss in your chicken and stir it all up…
Add stock, wine, tomatoes, paste, and spices and simmer for about 20 minutes…
Add pumpkin and cocoa if you are using it.
Stir together, heat through, and wabam! You have a beautiful, hearty, flavorful, unique, thick and comforting meal for yourself and the fam…or if its just yourself, you have food for a week!! 😀
Isn’t it purty?! I wish I had some right now. I haven’t eaten today other than a really naughty treat I snuck…
This would have been much more satisfying that a hot dog
Hallelujah!! I hope you love it! What is your favorite dish with pumpkin?