This is what I made to stand beside my Marinated Garlic Herb Chicken Breast. If you read that post, you will know that it was a week night, and I didn’t want to spend tons of time on dinner, but still wanted to treat Mr. Rodgers to something tasty. Well, the chicken was SUPER easy. I didn’t want to spend tons of time on the side dish either…and this was perfect! Filling and hearty to compliment the lightness of the chicken 🙂 Try it out!
So, here’s what you need:
- 1/2 lb Lentils, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Tbsp Minced Onion (The dry stuff. You can use a real onion too, I just didn’t have one! Probably about 1/2 an onion)
- 1 1/2 C Frozen Mixed Veggies
- 1/3 C Chicken or Beef Broth
- 1/2 T Dried Chives
- 1/2 T Savory Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Herbamare
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
And here’s how you do it:
- Follow the directions on your lentil bag to get them started cooking. Set your timer for just a couple minutes less than the recommended cooking time.
- In a large pot melt your butter. Toss in the onion and mixed veggies and saute until tender.
- Add the lentils and stir to combine evenly.
- Add the broth and seasonings, stir, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Scoop on your plate, and top with a delicious protein. 🙂
Simple. Warm. Comforting. Delicious. And fast 🙂
Lentils! Such a wonderful food! I love them and I didn’t even know what they were a year ago! 🙂 Check your package and cook them just a couple minutes shy of the recommended time.
Measure a cup and a half of frozen veggies. You can use fresh if you want! But as I mentioned before…the groceries were low so I was using things from the caverns of the freezer and pantry. 🙂 Usually I prefer the flavor of fresh veggies, but for a busy night when you can’t spend time chopping and slicing these work great!!!