I had been looking forward to making this salad for SO long. I kept meaning to get the stuff to make it, but would end up saving it for “next time,” because we had so much extra tuna for lunches! But finally, I just decided I was tired of waiting and this was the week!! I’m so glad I did…it was so FUN! Perfect lunch…lots of greens, super great citrus flavor (I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT!!!), some good protein, sooooooo many veggies, and a refreshing vinaigrette!! Mmmm. Sheer beauty!! And quite satisfying. And another great thing…it said it would only serve 4….LIES! I’m convinced it can serve more 🙂 And if you keep the dressing and salad separate until you are ready to eat individual servings, it stays good for days 🙂 Or, make this for company and you will look so impressive and fancy!!! It made me feel fancy 😀
Note: I took a picture before I got it tossed thoroughly enough! I realized after that there was a lot of yummy veggies and grapefruit chunks at the bottom haha. So don’t worry, it’s not 90% romaine, there’s lotsa goodies all through it! 🙂
So, here’s what you need:
- 4 Chicken Breasts, cooked and cubed or shredded (I tossed mine on a grill pan with salt & pepper while I prepped)
- 2 Grapefruits, peeled; wedges separated (use a small sharp knife to help if needed) and cut in half
- 2 Carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4-1/2 Small Red Onion, thinly sliced (depends on your tastes)
- 1 Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 oz package Snow Peas
- 1 Apple, thinly sliced
- 2 Hearts of Romaine, cut or torn into bite size pieces
- 2 Oranges, juiced
- 1/2 Grapefruit, juiced
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Ginger (I used paste)
- 1 tsp chili sauce (I used Sriracha!! Yay!)
- 1/2 C Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of a natural sweetener (Optional. I didn’t use it, it didn’t need it I don’t think! But I love grapefruit as is :))
Doesn’t that sound like the craziest dressing you have ever heard of? It’s sooooo good!! The ginger and sriracha give it a mild heat, that warms up only after you’ve taken a few bites…and it gives it a sort of Asian feel. But the grapefruit makes it sooooo refreshing, the apple brings a sweetness and a crunch, and the chicken is tasty and fills any carnivore needs. Oh, and the cilantro is a nice finishing touch! I love cilantro! Mmm! Yummy. And you know what else is great? Because of the citrus in it…my apples didn’t get brown at all…and I was still eating the FRESH salad like 4 days later. They still weren’t brown!
Here’s how you do it 🙂
- Prep your veggies. I sliced everything really thin with a sharp knife, but it is recommended that you can use a mandolin as well. If you have one, go for it!!
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust as you desire 🙂
- Toss together all your salad ingredients.
- Here is where you decide; if you are serving 4-6 people, toss it all with the dressing. If you are using it for your lunch and can’t finish it, put some salad in a bowl, add as much dressing as you desire, and put the rest in the fridge for later 🙂
- Enjoy great flavor ALONG WITH a wonderful healthy feeling 🙂
Here’s my first step 🙂 See how thinly I got those veggies? I was so proud of me 😉 And I only ended up using about half that amount of onion 😉 Are you so excited about having all those goodies in a salad?! And that’s not even all of them!
Look at how much mine made!!! Two bowls! Serves 4? I don’t think so!! Perhaps its cause I didn’t follow the recipe exactly 😉
Yummy yummy yummy!
You know one of my favorite things about a meal like this is? Don’t laugh, but….it’s this…VEGETABLE CARNAGE! When I look down and see this in my sink, I just know….wow….I’m heating healthy!! YES!