Yes, you read that right. Kale pesto!!! I LOVE PESTO! And the fact that when you eat this one….you are unknowingly devouring a SUPER FOOD! So tasty, and so beyond healthy! Yeah baby!! And the color is phenomenal, haha. Green is my favorite 🙂 You can do so many things with pesto. Chicken. Veggie sides. Pasta. Pizza. Why not whip up a batch of this fantastic pesto, and have it ready to substitute into your favorite recipes? Here’s my thought…if you are a pesto lover, make this one change, have an even better flavor and unbelievable health benefits! Eliminate the store bought pesto you get from a jar, and you eliminate the mystery…do you know what mystery I am speaking of? The “what sort of strange chemical poo did they cram into this” mystery? I have come to the terms that even if the ingredients on a bottle all seem legit…and if it has that “all natural” label on the front…you can’t trust it! That one thing that I haven’t heard of…that big word I can’t pronounce….it’s probably where they snuck in the bad stuff that will hurt the body! Oh and don’t even get me started on the whole “natural flavors” thing. Ha! Anywho. This recipe eliminates that mystery!!! You can KNOW what you are putting in your body, and have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your body is not being harmed! And on the other hand, if you already make home made pesto, I altered this recipe to the point that it is crazy delicious without any cheese! Not that I think a little Parmesan here and there is a bad thing. But if you can have something that is so yummy without NEEDING cheese, you might as well eliminate it so that you can have some cheese where it IS needed, right? Makes sense to me 😉
Enough talk!!! Let’s hop to it!! I’m excited for you to try this gem…and I’m excited that in a few days, I get to show you how I used it! FANTASTIC!
Adapted from marycrimmins.com
So here’s what you need:
- 2 Small Bunches of Kale, Stems Removed
- 1/2 C Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 C Walnuts, Chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice (ish, to taste and texture 😉 )
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, or something similar
- Salt and Pepper to taste (Careful with the salt if your Cajun style seasoning has salt in it!)
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Place your walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast, keeping an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn 🙂 You just want them to get a little browned and bring out that fantastic toasty flavor!! Yummmm! Set aside 🙂
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add kale leaves to boiling water and let cook for about 10 minutes. Should be nice and tender.
- Put your toasted walnuts, cooked kale, and garlic in a food processor. Or blender, but food processor works better 🙂 Get it nice and blended!
- Pour in oil and lemon juice slowly, until you get the consistency you want. Mine was creamy and spreadable, which was perfect for my use 🙂
- Whiz in the Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper…taste and adjust!
WABAM! AMAZING! That’s all I can say! Amazing!!! I hope you enjoy this…it was a huge discovery for my kitchen 🙂
Oh my gosh. I just had a thought. Kale pesto. Plus spaghetti squash. Holy inspiration. Ahhhhh. That must happen. Really soon. Wow. Maybe I should blog while watching Iron Chef more often. For real.
Holy boiling kale batman!
So green! Yay green! Tastiest darn green I’ve ever had!!!
Yum! I have more pictures for you…but I’m not giving them to you yet…cause I want you to see them all together when I reveal the finished product. The life-changing, wonderful, beautiful finished product. Haha.