This was so much fun. It was definitely an exciting recipe for me, because it was very much outside of my comfort zone. Curry…and carrots…in a soup?! But I am so glad I decided to try, Mr. Rodgers and I both loved it and it was a fun, creative way to have a veggie side to our Mediterranean Steak Roll Ups!
I found this recipe because I was going through my fridge and shelves, taking stock of what I have that I need to use up. I found I still had tons of Miso, which was quite expensive so I wanted to make sure I used it to it’s full potential. I also had curry powder, so I wanted to use that too! Off to Google I went, to figure out what could be created with these two ingredients!
I stumbled upon misorecipes.com, and found this lovely idea that I ever so slightly adapted. The creaminess was so comforting, the color was vibrant, the amount of heat was just perfect (just a tiny warmth on your tongue after you slurped it down!), and of course the flavor was lovely. Mr. Rodgers is pretty crazy about curry.
So, let’s get down to business. Here’s what you need:
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Butter
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 4 Med-Lg Carrots, Sliced
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 C Water
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 2 Tbsp Miso Paste
- Tiny Pinch of Cayenne Powder (Or to taste, depending on how much heat you like!)
- 2 Tbsp Grated Carrot (Optional, I didn’t use this but it’s in the original)
And here’s how you do it!!
- Melt your coconut oil or butter in your soup pot. Add your onion and cook about 3 minutes, until beginning to become translucent. Add garlic and stir in, cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Add Carrots and salt and continue to saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Dump in the water and coconut milk and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, until everything is tender.
- Add Pepper, Curry Powder, Miso, and Cayenne. Simmer for a couple more minutes.
- CAREFULLY transfer soup (in batches, it should only be about half full.) to a blender and blend until creamy. Pour into a large bowl until all is blended.
- Pour back into pot and cook until heated through. If you want, stir in the grated carrot, or use it as a garnish.
And you’re done!! Serve warm and enjoy!
Chop all your veggies. Melt your coconut oil or butter in your soup pot, and add the onions. Cook about 3 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, stir, and cook about 30 seconds. Add carrots and salt, stir, and cook about 2 more minutes.
Pour in water and coconut milk and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add Pepper, Curry Powder, Miso, and Cayenne. Simmer for a couple more minutes.
Ladle into a pretty bowl or cup and serve!! Here it is with our Mediterranean Stuffed Steak Rolls.
I hope you enjoy this!