As you can imagine…this was a man pleaser. I liked them. Mr. Rodgers LOVED them. But I guess…what man DOESN’T love steak?! Especially when you stuff it with Mediterranean goodness. So I suppose I can’t blame him. They were like little rolls of flavor that were healthy, but also satisfying because it had that meatiness that you can just sink your teeth into.
You can’t go wrong with ingredients like these:
So, here’s what you need:
(adapted from familycircle.com)
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs thinly cut steak
- 1 Package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 C Feta Cheese
- 1 Small Jar Roasted Red Peppers, Chopped (I used about 2/3 of a 12 oz Jar 0f Marinated Roasted Red Peppers with Garlic Cloves, which I recommend. You can chop the garlic up with the red pepper)
- 2 Tbsp Dry Quinoa (I used this for a crunch, since I didn’t want to use bread crumbs)
- 1 Egg Yolk (Thinking back, I’m pretty sure I forgot the egg in mine and it still worked haha.)
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Salt, Divided (Or to taste. I used extra in my stuffing)
- 3/4 tsp Pepper, Divided (Or to taste. I used extra in my stuffing)
- Tbsp Olive Oil
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat oven to 425*
- Lay your steak pieces out on a clean work surface. Now you may have one long piece of thin cut steak. I thought I had about 3 pieces, only to unwrap it and realize I had 6-8 long VERY thin cut pieces, but it still worked great!
- Season your steak with 1/4 tsp each of the garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together: Spinach (with all the moisture squeezed out first), Feta, Red Pepper, Quinoa, Egg, and another 1/4 tsp each of the garlic salt and pepper…
- Press the filling onto the steak, leaving an inch border.
- Roll steak up carefully and lay on a baking sheet seam side down.
- Rub the outside with oil and season with the last 1/4 tsp of garlic salt and pepper.
- Slide into your heated oven and cook until your desired amount of doneness…obviously this will depend on the thickness of your steak. The original says 35 minutes, but that would have been way too long for the thinness of the steak I ended up with. If you have a very thin meat, start checking around 15 minutes, if more of a medium thickness, go for 25-30. 🙂
- Remove, let rest for a few minutes, then serve, slicing if you have one long roll.
Here are the Roasted Red Peppers I used! Definitely a great flavor!
Lay out your steak and season with garlic salt and pepper.
Throw all your stuffing ingredients into a bowl…
Mix up together…
Lay out on your steaks with a border…
Roll up and rub with olive oil, season with garlic salt and pepper again…
Roast in 425* oven until they reach your desired amount of doneness!!
Here it is accompanied by a lovely curry carrot soup!
Browned, meaty, stuffed, and delicious!!