Sounds a little crazy, right? But these actually had just the right amount of heat, and a TON of great flavor! Believe it or not Brussels Sprouts are probably the favorite vegetable around here! They have this great texture when roasted right…crunch on the outside, but dense enough on the inside to make your teeth happy. There is just something so satisfying and comforting about a good, hearty, healthy vegetable that also tastes AMAZING! And I am so excited about this fun new flavor combo!! Who would have thought jalapenos and Brussels would be so beautiful together?!
I just love how my food inspiration can explode because of others’ ideas! This one was adapted from paleofondue.com! It was originally made with red jalapenos, which I was very excited to try…but then none of my stores had them. Laaaaaame! But it was still SOOO delicious.
Okay, seriously….bunny trail…I am having an incredibly difficult time writing this blog. Want to know why? This is why:
Because this is happening right now:
If you cannot tell…that is my lap that she is laying in. And that is my laptop, which is supposed to be in my lap.
Ugh!! But she’s just so cute!!! How can I possibly make her move?! If I try, she will whimper and turn on those puppy eyes that would break Chuck Norris’ heart. So here I am…stretching over her, trying not to wake her and somehow type at the same time. And my foot is starting to cramp! Haha. The things we do for love…and I don’t even have kids yet!! I’m doomed!! 😉
Okay….back to those amazing Brussels Sprouts that are a lot easier than typing with a sleepy cute puppy in your lap…ready, set, go!
Here is what you need:
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, Halved
- 3 Jalapenos, thinly sliced (crossways so you have rounds)
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Grassfed Butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey, Melted
- 1/4 C Walnuts, Finely Chopped
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 400*.
- Chop your Brussels in half and slice your jalapenos.
- Toss the Brussels and jalapenos with the coconut oil or butter and spread out on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Thinly slice the garlic and let it soak in the vinegar while your Brussels cook.
- When the 25 minutes is up, add in the garlic, vinegar, and walnuts and stir around again. Cook another 5 minutes or so. Drizzle on the melted honey, stir around, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Brussels should be browned well on the outside. You are ready to serve!
Slice your chiles and sprouts
Pour on your melted butter or coconut oil…
Spread out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper…
Roast for 25 minutes, stirring them around once. Add sliced garlic to vinegar to soak while you wait. After 25 minutes, add garlic, vinegar, and nuts to Brussels and stir around again. Cook for another 5 minutes, add honey, and cook for 5 minutes or so again.
Brussels should be nice and browned and crispy on the outside!
What is your favorite way to cook Brussels Sprouts?