‘Tis the season of love! Of showing that special someone how you feel, in sweet, corny ways. Of indulgences and fancy dinners and candle light. I LOVE ALL OF THESE THINGS! However, you may be wanting to avoid breaking the bank by going out to that $150 bill restaurant…or perhaps you want to stay on track with your resolutions but still celebrate love in a memorable way…with memorable food. Have I got a fun, easy recipe for you!!
What I love about this is 1) I completely made it up myself, and 2) the ❤ part of this salad was a completely unplanned accident, that turned out perfect for Valentines Day! I’m an accidental genius!
Look at this pretty little “love” salad:
How precious is that? So without further ado…
Here’s what you need:
For Salad: (Whatever you use to build your usual salad, this is what I used)
- 2-3 Handfuls Spring Mix
- 2-3 Handfuls Baby Spinach
- 1 Heart Romaine, Torn into Bite Sized Pieces
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Julienned
- 1/2 Cucumber, Sliced
- 2 Carrots, Sliced
- Avocado, Sliced
- 2 Ahi Tuna Steaks, 1 lb (They come in this shape! Yay!)
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Chili Powder
For “Salsa Dressing” (You may want to double if you are planning on serving more than 2-3 people)
- 1 Lg Tomato
- 2 Tbsp Minced Red Onon
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Squeeze of Cilantro Paste (You can use fresh, I was making this up on the fly so didn’t have any on hand)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
And here’s how you do it!
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Place tuna steaks in an oven safe pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin on both sides. I would not cover the fish as generously as I usually have you season things. Just a nice sprinkling so the flavor of the fish is not overwhelmed. Set aside until oven is ready.
- While you wait on the oven, place all of your salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine all of your salsa ingredients and whisk with a fork until evenly incorporated. It will have more liquid than a normal salsa, since the purpose is for it to be the dressing for the salad.
- Slide tuna in oven and bake until flakes easily with a fork. My steaks were thick and I wanted them well done, so it took about 2o minutes. You can adjust to your tastes and steaks 🙂
- Place tuna steak on top of salad and drizzle with salsa dressing. Then hand it to your sweetheart to show them how much you care 😉
See how beautiful those hearts are?! Sorry…they just make me so happy!
Preheat your oven to 350*. Now sprinkle the seasonings on both sides of the fish…see my sprinkling? That’s all you need.
Built your big salad (excuse the ghetto nature of my salad bowl…I make big quantities and keep them in giant Tupperware so we always have salad on hand.)
Mix together your salsa salad dressing.
Place your fish on top of some salad…
Sprinkle with salsa….
This was my husband’s romantic salad to go, haha. Now eat however you desire!! I shredded mine up and mixed it in. It. Was. Delicious.
And bam! There you have it folks! Healthy, delicious, and romantic!! Enjoy!