Yes, I have finally jumped on the green smoothie boat! I used to just do fruit smoothies, sweetened with orange juice and a little coconut. But I had to come back down to earth and be honest with myself. They just didn’t make me feel good. I would legitimately get acid reflux from the insane amount of fruit I would ingest, and we all know that orange juice really isn’t that great for us! So in our journey with Abel James I decided to try out the green ones. And I decided…I like them! I thought they would freak me out because of the texture…I am more into juicing veggies. But it makes it so much more filling and I really do love it! And I feel GREAT afterwards. It’s so hard to explain, but I usually tell Mr. Rodgers this way: “My insides feel clean!!” Haha, can anyone relate?!
Also…I felt the need to post a healthy drink to balance out my last post…the delicious but not so nutritious Fireball Apple Cider. We all need treats now and then. 😉
I have tweaked this smoothie quite a lot, and I think I am finally at the place where it is ready to share! And PLEASE! I would love to try your recipes too, so feel free to share!!
So, here’s what you need: (This will make enough for 2 people for a light breakfast…or if you are like me and don’t have a chance stop and eat at work…it will be good to fill up your cup a few times and sip on as you are running hither and to like a mad woman trying to get things done ;))
- 8 oz Coconut Milk (Or Almond, or the 50/50 mix. I’ve used them all!)
- 2-3 Good handfuls Spinach
- 2-3 Good handfuls Kale Leaves (you don’t want big stems…they’re pretty bitter)
- 1/2 Cucumber, Thickly Sliced
- 1 Small Banana
- 1/4 C Blueberries (Frozen)
- 1/2 C Strawberries (Frozen)
- 1 Scoop Whey Protein (Optional…if you can find some without added crap!)
And here’s how you do it:
- Pour your coconut milk into the bottom of the blender. Add your spinach and kale. Mine usually fills the blender to the top.
- Blend until all the leaves are gone and you have a nice green liquid at the bottom (you will be amazed how the greens shrink!)
- Add your cucumber, banana, blueberries, strawberries, and whey if you are using it. Blend until smooth. Pour into a cup, drink, and feel how squeaky clean your insides are, haha!
Measure your coconut milk into the bottom of the blender.
Add all your greens! See what I mean? Filled right to the top!
Blend till you have nothing but a nice green liquid at the bottom!
Add in your banana, cucumber, and berries…
Blend (I tried to get an action shot, it didn’t work as well as I had hoped).
Pour…admire…drink! So much healthy going into your body right now!!!