So, I know that most of my dear friends that follow me on my food adventures are also fellow HEALTH NERDS!! Nerds unite!! 😉 So there is one thing I am guessing us health nerds have in common; a problem that is not that big of a deal to non-nerds, but is to us. That issue is this; getting toward the end of a busy week, and having the fact gnawing at your brain that you have beautiful veggies in your fridge about to go bad. Few things hurt me as bad as losing veggies to the trash can!! Pure tragedy in my book.
With much anxiety, I found myself in that situation recently. But I discovered a wonderful solution. One prep, two meals, many days of eating!! I like to call it my Clean Out The Crisper Two-In-One.
Now, the nature of this post is going to be much less “exact” than most of mine because, frankly, the recipe is going to depend on what you have in your fridge that is on the verge of death, haha! But I will share the concept with you, and show you what I used!
Clean Out The Crisper Stir Fry!
Here’s what I had: (NOTE, THE VEGGIES WILL BE DIVIDED IN HALF FOR TWO DIFFERENT RECIPES!)
- 1/4 Head Red Cabbage, Sliced
- 2 Sm Onions, Sliced into chunks
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Julienned
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, Julienned
- 1/2 lb or so Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 3-4 Handfuls Baby Carrots
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Marinade of Choice, divide (I used olive oil, coconut aminos, sesame oil, pepper flakes, etc…)
And here’s how you do it!
- Whisk together your marinade. Cube chicken , put in a Ziploc baggie (I seriously believe that the secret to healthy eating is Ziploc baggies, baha!) and pour marinade over chicken, reserving a couple of Tablespoons to add as a sauce later. Marinade for a few hours, up to 24.
- Prep all your veggies, and divide them into half. You are using half for this recipe and half for one that I will show you soon. One prep, two meals, days of eating, remember?! 🙂
- Melt some coconut oil in a wok and dump in your chicken. Cook until mostly done all the way through. Set aside.
- Dump all your veggies and stir, cooking until tender crisp. Add chicken in and stir until combined.
- Drizzle reserved marinade over whole dish, stir, and continue cooking for a few minutes until everything is done! You don’t want your veggies to be too mushy!
Yay! Be watching later this recipe for the other super easy recipe I made with the same ingredients!
Prep your veggies! I used the full amount of cabbage in this recipe, but the rest I divided in half for both recipes.
Melt coconut oil in a wok and add your marinated chicken. Stirring occasionally, cook until chicken is just about done. Set aside for later.
Add prepped veggies to same skillet and cook, stirring, until tender-crisp.
Aren’t they pretty?!
I LOVE VEGGIES! Okay. Here is a sneak peak at my two pots of meals cooking at the same time, quick and easy!
Yum-o! Now add your chicken back in, stir, drizzle with reserved marinade, and cook until everything is done! Not too crispy, not too mushy…just heavenly goodness!
Plop on top of some steamy hot quinoa or cauliflower rice (recipe coming soon!) and enjoy!! Or save for tomorrow to take to work for lunch! I made all my coworkers hungry when I warmed this up there! 😉