So. Wow. These were another gem, folks. Truly a thing of beauty. I was trying so hard to come up with a new, fun name for them to mix it up since I changed a few things. But no. To take away any of the words in this title would be a travesty. (That’s the Rodgers family word of the week. I dunno why.) I mean. Come on. What is Cheddar without Jalapeno? What is Chicken without Cheddar? What is summer without burgers?! AAAAH!!!! So here it is. My new friend. Wonderful, wonderful friend. I love finding new burger friends.
Not too long ago, I had never really thought of any way to make a burger other than beef, bbq, and cheese. Then I found a blogger favorite, turkey feta burgers. My life was forever altered. And THEN I was blogging one day, and put on Food Network in the background. Well Paula Dean came on, and it was a burger special where she was featuring the winner of a burger competition, Brigitte Nguyen. The winning burger was an Asian Chicken Burger!!! What?! Who knew. And get this. She won 50 THOUSAND DOLLARS!! WHAAAAT?! After I heard that, I decided to start experimenting with burgers more. I wanna make 50 thousand dollars from a burger recipe, haha!! THEN a couple of days ago I purchased my first magazine ever. Don’t laugh at me. Growing up I made a silent protest of sorts against them. Just because I saw so many of my friends flip through them, even seemingly harmless ones, then go look in the mirror and cry or harm themselves. So me, being my extreme self, avoided all magazines at all costs because they hurt people. However, the last time I went grocery shopping I was eyeing the cover of a food magazine and my husband caught me…and bought it for me! 🙂 Good news, it made me happy and inspired, no hurt. 😀 ANYWAYS. Back to burgers. All that to tell you that in said magazine, I found a list of the 25 most popular burgers! Cue Disney music: “A WHOLE NEW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!” Burgers with all different kinds of meats, countless fillers, crazy toppings with buns, without buns, all different kind of buns, oh my gosh! YOU CAN DO SO MANY THINGS WITH BURGERS!!! AAAAAAAAAH! AND THIS ONE WAS REALLY GOOD!!! Did I mention that it is smothered in fresh guacamole?!
Wanna try? Yeah? Yeah? Yeaaaaah? Dooooo it!
Adapted from http://cookbook-recipes.org.
So, here’s what you need for the burgers:
- 2 lbs Ground Chicken
- 2/3 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2/3 C Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, Minced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 C Cilantro, Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Paprika
Guacamole (For topping. Yummy!)
- 3 Avocados
- Hot Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Mrs. Dash
- Fresh Lime Juice (1 lime)
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
Other toppings of choice!! We don’t do buns often any more, but we used lettuce and tomatoes along with the guacamole. That’s really all it needed because of all the stuffins inside, but you can use whatever you want! I’m sure there’s lots of things that would be yummy!
And here’s how you do it:
- Prep all your veggies.
- Make your guacamole. Cut your avocados in half lengthwise, twist the halves apart, and remove the pits (reserve one.) Using a knife, cut the flesh of the avocado halves into cubes without cutting through the skin. Use a large spoon to scoop between the flesh and skin and drop the cubes into a bowl. Sprinkle with a generous coating of all the seasonings, the juice of one lime, and a dash of hot sauce. Mash lightly with a fork, or until it becomes the consistency you desire. Taste and adjust until you get it just right! Place reserved pit back in the middle of the bowl (it helps it stay green) and put it in the fridge to chill until your burgers are done.
- Heat up your grill or grill pan, medium heat.
- Mix all the burger ingredients together until just combined. Form into patties, making a divet in the middle so they won’t shrivel up. 🙂
- Place on your grill and cook until done, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove, top, and serve! Yummyyyyy!!!!
Let’s get to pictures! Yum!
Prepare your veggies and cheese. Things go so much smoother when it’s all ready before hand. 🙂
Make your guacamole! Really, you can do it any way you want, but these are the seasonings that I recommend 🙂
Cut your avocados in half longways. Twist the halves apart and remove the pits (reserving one.) Take a knife and gently cut the flesh into cubes, not cutting through the skin. Take a large spoon and scoop between the skin and flesh and drop the cubes into a bowl.
Sprinkle a generous layer of the seasonings over the avocado, along with a dash of hot sauce and the juice of a lime. You can do this to your own tastes, I never measure…just taste and go. 😉 Mash it together lightly so it’s creamy, but still chunky! Yumm! Place one of the pits back in the guacamole to help it stay green, and plop it in the fridge till your burgers are ready.
Place all of the burger ingredients in a large bowl. Yes, there’s lots…but it will work!
Mix together until just combined, you want to handle your meat as little as possible.
Form into patties, making a dent in the middle. It should make seven or eight.
Place on your grill and cook until done, 5-7 minutes per side.
Now choose your toppings! We did this burger bar style!
Yummy!!! Doesn’t that look fantastic?!
So pretty 🙂
I hope you love this as much as I did! You could serve with buns, tortillas, salsa, sour cream…whatever!!