So, to all my gardening friends (I know there are lots of you!) Is anyone else scrambling to use up their veggies because the air is getting nippy and the frost is threatening? At least here in New York that is how it goes! Or maybe you are simply overwhelmed with cucumbers…cause they are lively little guys! The first to sprout, countless little flowers that turn into resilient veggies! I LOVE how well my cucumbers do…but often times feel at a loss as to what to do with them!
Well, here is the perfect way to use ’em up! This was just so delightful! A great side to a slab of meat, and did well for a light lunch the next day! What was even better was the fact that my cucumbers were so crisp and delightful this year…ohhh the texture of this salad was amazing!!! You’ll love it! Read on!
So, here’s what you need!
- 2 Lg Cucumbers, or 3-4 C(You have to scroll down and see how pretty my cucumbers were, I was so proud that I grew them all by myself!)
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion, or 1 1/2 C
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 C Water
- 3/4 Tbsp Agave
- Couple Cranks Fresh Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dill Weed (Feel free to use fresh dill. I used what I had, and it was totes delicious, but would shine with a slightly different flavor with fresh dill. Both will be fantastic!)
- Tiny Dash Sriracha (I put it in everything!)
- Tbsp Fresh Parsley (Garnish)
- 1/4 C Sunflower Seeds (Garnish, my husband loves the crunch!)
And here’s how you do it! (It’s really so easy!)
- Thinly slice your cucumbers.
- Thinly slice your red onion.
- Toss it all in a bowl.
- Combine the vinegar, water, agave, sriracha, and herbs/spices. (Minus the parsley.)
- Pour vinegar mixture over the veggies. Toss to coat.
- Garnish with parsley and sunflower seeds. BAM! YOU’RE DONE! THAT FAST! Woohoo! Fun. Easy. Feel good. I think this sort of thing is the real comfort food. Because you don’t feel like death afterwards, haha. ENJOY!
Aren’t those beautiful cucumbers? I thought it was pretty good for an amateur gardener like me, getting on my hands and knees, ripping up a chunk of lawn, adding some fertilizer and throwing in some seeds!! I really am quite proud!
Toss it all in a medium bowl…
Combine vinegar, water, agave, sriraha, and herbs/spices. Whisk together until everything is distributed, then pour over the veggies.
Toss to coat! Garnish with parsley and sunflower seeds! (I didn’t get a picture with the sunflower seeds because I forgot about that genius idea until the next day! But Mr. Rodgers loved it even better with them on top, so you should try! A great texture addition, and a good salt touch too!)
Okay. I gotta go to bed. But let me know what you think! What is your favorite variation of a dill cucumber salad?