Lately I have had SO much fun searching through all my cookbooks (and buying new ones…batting my puppy eyes at Mr. Rodgers when we find them in stores hehe!), adapting the recipes to fit our lifestyle, and sharing the recipes with you wonderful people. (Seriously, you guys are wonderful. I love my followers, and that everyone is so encouraging!) I hope you enjoy seeing all the fun cookbooks I stumble upon!
However, with that being said…I must declare that there is something SO special…so satisfying and confidence-boosting…about successfully creating your own dish. Your brain child. Your baby. And when people you love rave about it…I don’t know about you guys, but that makes me want to cry happy tears!
This is one of those dishes. MINE! MY OWN! MY PRECIOUSSS! Haha. (If you understand that reference, you may be a nerd…and I love you for it!) I sincerely hope that some of you understand what I am talking about, and you aren’t sitting there reading this thinking “wow, she’s a freak!” 😉 ANYWHO! Staying on track…I loved this dish. Mr. Rodgers loved this dish. Mr Rodgers’ best friend loved this dish! (I wish I could communicate to you how big of a deal that is! He is…particular…about his food. To this day I can’t believe he ate squash…and loved it!)
I mean…just look at these ingredients:
Here’s what you need:
- 3 Lg Chicken Breasts
- Salt, Pepper, and Mrs. Dash (or your favorite seasoning blend. I’m addicted to Mrs. Dash)
- 1 Package Bacon
- 1 Zucchini, sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 Small Spaghetti Squash
- 1 C Pesto (I used this quick recipe)
And here’s how you do it! (Though there are a few components, it really is a simple process!)
- Cook your spaghetti squash however you desire! I usually roast whole in the oven at 400* for an hour or so, turning occasionally. You wanna make sure that you can easily pierce the flesh with a fork before you take it out. Remove the seeds and use a fork to pull the inside into spaghetti-like strands. Set aside.
- Cook your bacon and reserve the grease!
- Cut your chicken into bite size pieces, season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash, and cook in bacon grease until done. Set aside.
- Sauté your zucchini just a few minutes in the bacon grease, until just beginning to get tender. (Don’t let it get mushy!)
- Crumble in your bacon (or if you’re like me, use kitchen scissors to cut it into little uniform bites hehe.)
- Dump in your spaghetti squash…
- Stir to evenly distribute all those yummy ingredients…
- Dump in your pesto and stir to coat everything, it should be just enough to give you a nice covering without being too overwhelming.
Cook your bacon, reserving the grease
Cut your chicken into bite size pieces, season with salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash, and cook in bacon grease until done. Set aside.
Sauté your zucchini just a few minutes in the bacon grease, until just beginning to get tender.
Crumble in your bacon (or if you’re like me, use kitchen scissors to cut it into little uniform bites hehe.)
Dump in your spaghetti squash…
Stir to evenly distribute all those yummy ingredients…
Dump in your pesto and stir to coat everything, it should be just enough to give you a nice covering without being too overwhelming.
And serve! Yummy!!
I wish it wasn’t so hard to make spaghetti squash look beautiful! But I tell you what…even like that I still want to eat it right now!! I hope this idea inspires you guys, let me know what you think!