Paleo. It has been the most rewarding lifestyle we have tried. Not to mention, it is quite satisfying since you get to eat so much protein. The only issue I have run into is figuring out enough interesting ways to cook meat. One fail-proof option is burger patties! You just have to be constantly thinking of creative new ways to prepare them to keep it interesting!
Lucky for me, I found this book at my favorite store for cook book shopping, Five Below:
(Feel free to check it out here)
Since it is a book of grilling recipes, most of them are protein-based. And there are plenty of burger recipes, just waiting to be adapted to clean-eating standards. Now I would like to share one of those with you!! I love how there is a great flavor…but also veggies snuck in there! And another thing I just adore about burger patties is that, even though we are transitioning to cooler days, you can still rock these puppies! Be it an outdoor grill, grill pan, or a good old fashioned cast iron skillet…burgers will satisfy your tummy and your taste buds!
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 Carrot, Peeled and Grated
- 2 Green Onions, Minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Ginger Paste (or fresh grated)
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- A few shakes Red Pepper Flakes
- Toppings of choice
And here’s how you do it:
- Combine all the burger ingredients in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 4 even portions, and form into patties. If needed, you can form them right on your plate over some foil or wax paper, because the mixture WILL be more moist than regular burgers. Place them in the freezer just a few minutes until you are ready to grill. This helps them stay formed.
- Preheat an outdoor grill, or a cast iron grill pan or skillet with a small amount of grass-fed butter in the bottom. Place burgers on your cooking surface and cook for 6-7 minutes per side, until juices run clear and the temperature is at 170*. I’m sure you know this, but these are not beef burgers so they MUST be cooked all the way through!
- Top with whatever you please and eat away!!
Mix everything together and form your patties:
Cook 6-7 minutes per side, or until done!
And devour!! Pretty easy, right?!