Yum! If any of you know anything about Mr. Rodgers, you probably know that he loves anything “taco.” However, our options are limited, seeing as his new, stricter rules cut out any grain! Now he always loves what I make, but because he’s just so wonderful I love trying to surprise him with new dishes that capture at least parts of his old favorites…without the items on his “no-no” list.
That is what this was. And it was totally worth it! I am so excited for a new way to enjoy our favorite flavors. We used to eat fish tacos once every other week or so, because it made us feel like we were eating a “fancy” or “special” taco. Now…we can do that again, without guilt or the added pounds for the Mister! Want to know a secret? He has lost 40 pounds so far, and is still going! I am so incredibly proud of him! And thrilled with all the new recipes we are discovering in the process.
Anyways…back to these AMAZING bowls of flavor!
Adapted from pinchofyum.com
Here’s what you need:
- 1 Recipe Cauliflower Rice
- 2 Tbsp Grassfed Butter or Coconut Oil
- 1 lb Fresh Cod (Or white fish of choice)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Red Onion, Diced
- 1 Red Pepper, Diced
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder (to taste, if you don’t like it spicy then just use a pinch)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Recipe Avocado Salsa for topping
- Fresh Mango for topping (so good!)
And here’s how you do it:
- Mix together all the spices and spread generously over your fish filet.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter/oil over medium high heat.
- Add your fish now, cooking each side a few minutes until it is white through and flakes easily. It will be tastiest if you can get at least a little bit of a sear on both sides! We like ours crisp and a little blackened, as you’ll see in the picture!
- Remove the fish and add the peppers and onions. Cook until tender crisp, making sure to stir and scrape up those blackened bits of goodness stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the beans and garlic and stir, cooking until everything is warm through.
- In a bowl, add a big spoonful of cauliflower rice. Next, layer on the bean/veggie mix, then the fish (I shredded mine), then salsa, then mango…and whatever else your heart desires! Enjoy!
Prep all your veggies and things!
Get your fish ready…
Mix together your seasonings…
And generously season your fish. Melt your butter and add fish. Sear each side and cook until it flakes easily.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions and peppers to same pan and cook until tender crisp, stirring so you scrape up all the yummy blackened stuff on the bottom of the pan.
Add your black beans and garlic, cook until heated through, and dump into a bowl.
Shred your fish. Yummy!
Prepare your spread!
You an do this buffet style and have everyone create their own, or fix the bowls up yourself!
Add the rice first, then the veggie mix…
Then the fish…
And the mango!
So ridiculously yummy, with layers of flavor!!! I hope you enjoy this like we did!