How can this be possible, you ask? I am a health food blogger after all…so how can I be blogging about beans and franks?!
Well, I have some very exciting news! Mr. Rodgers and I were browsing the aisles in one of our favorite grocery stores, and for some reason (DESTINY!), we found ourselves looking through the cooler of hot dogs and bacon and such things. Absently, he reached up and grabbed a pack of hot dogs and started scanning the label. Lo and behold…it was Applegate, my favorite bacon brand! We got even more excited when we realized these were not only all beef hot dogs…but they were GRASS FED!! With no nitrites!! Isn’t that the best news anyone has ever heard?! I can tell you…summer barbecues are now easier because we know we can just grab a pack of those and still be able to eat with our friends!!
But here is another super easy, super satisfying idea I wanted to share with you! Great for when you want something packed with protein that still has the feel of comfort food! Beans and franks!
So, here’s what you need:
- 2 Applegate Grass Fed Hot Dogs
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp Grass Fed Butter
- 1/2 Can Pinto Beans
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
And here’s how you do it!
- Heat up a grill pan and slap your hot dogs down on there. Alternately, you can cook them in a normal pan, I just wanted the dish to have that “grill” feel.
- Melt butter in a small pan. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to get tender. Add garlic, stir, cooking an additional minute or so.
- Add beans and stir in.
- Slice hot dogs into slices and stir in with beans and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, cooking everything for a minute or so. Just long enough for everything to be warm, and those flavors to be infused with each other. 🙂
- Dump into a bowl, and devour!! So incredibly comforting!
Cooking, waiting, yummy….
Doesn’t get much better than that!