Pesto. I don’t know how I lived so much of my life without it. I had never even heard of it until I moved to New York. We ate great food growing up, but we seasoned it usually one way: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Mrs. Dash, Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper. Great combo, really. But I had no idea that there was a WHOLE OTHER WORLD of flavor waiting for me to discover it! One of those things was pesto. The first time I ever used it was when I was very first married and using my crock pot almost every night! I found a pesto chicken recipe from crockpot365.blogspot.com (LOVE HER BLOG!!!) and fell in love with how easy it was, and incredibly tasty. Now I have gotten away from crock pot cooking every day, it is now simply an occasional occurrence at my house. But I have not gotten away from pesto!! If you have followed me long you will know my pesto favorites…Rack Of Lamb With Garlicy Pesto…Superfood Pizza…mmm. So good. I was craving pesto…so I decided to remake my crockpot365 favorite!! Turned out pretty great, Mr. Rodgers was DEFINITELY a fan!! 🙂
So, what you need:
- 1/2 C Kale Pesto (Or your pesto of choice. I love this one because of the great flavor and the fact that you are sneaking kale into places no one would expect…muahahahaa!)
- 4-6 Large Chicken Breasts
- Salt and Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Sliced Cheddar or Mozzarella (optional…we try to stay away from dairy, but I put cheese on a couple so I could try it both ways. And both ways were great :))
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep your pesto if you are using home made. The kale pesto I use simply required the kale to be boiled till tender, then all ingredients to be pulsed in a food processor.
- Season chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper. And a small sprinkling of cayenne pepper for a kick and place in a baking dish.
- Generously smear each chicken breast with pesto.
- Slide into the oven and cook until done. Mine were still partially frozen so it took a good 35/40 minutes, but fresh should take less time…25-35 🙂 If you are adding cheese, just put it on for the last few minutes of cooking.
Yay! You’re done! Eat eat eat eat!!
Prep your pesto! I had to simply boil my kale until tender, add garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, nuts (I used pine nuts this time, but have formerly used walnuts), and some seasonings, and blend till smooth.
Season chicken with salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of cayenne.
Smear generously with pesto (in a baking dish of course.)
Slide into a 350 degree oven and cook until done! If you are adding cheese on the top, add it just for the last couple minutes of cooking!
Now enjoy with some lovely veggies and feel satisfied and healthy!! 😀