Sounds interesting, right? Well…it was! Kind of fun and strange and wonderful! I never would have thought of putting almond butter on a veggie…other than dipping carrots in it, of course. That is addicting…
But almond butter and broccoli?! Yes, yes….it works, and I am thankful for the genius of Abel James, The Fat Burning Man, for coming up with the idea! For this recipe, I left the ingredients alone, just because the recipe was so out of the box for me that I didn’t want to try something and mess it up. HOWEVER, I did change how I cooked the broccoli! See…originally it was intended to be grilled! However, our days around here are struggling to stay above zero degrees. So I didn’t feel right about asking the man to go outside and grill. Plus…I have heard in those temperatures that often times grills won’t be able to heat up enough to cook your food anyways! So I went with my favorite method of cooking veggies. Oven roasted, crispy, and delicious!
Which reminds me. We must pause so I can rant. What. The. Heck. Is the deal with restaurants boiling their veggies?! SUCH INJUSTICE! I mean, come on! Mr. Rodgers and I splurged on a fancy dinner two nights ago. The steak was delicious. His chicken parm was bigger than my head and oh so crispy! The Shamrock martini was amazing. Atmosphere…awesome. Candle lit. Delicious. And then you get to the pile of veggies. Tasteless. Squeaky. Rubbery. Boiled. WHY?! It makes me want to cry. THIS IS WHY SO MANY AMERICANS HATE VEGETABLES! Because people like you mistreat them, fancy restaurant!
Okay. Rant over. I’m sure they have their reasons. Sigh. Poor little broccoli never had a chance.
Eh hem. Back to our fun ROASTED broccoli recipe 😀 Let’s get down to it!
Here is what you need:
- 1 Large Head Broccoli
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (Mr. Rodgers’ favorite!)
- 2 Tbsp Tahini (I used my daddy’s home made version)
- 3 Tbsp Almond Butter
- 1 Tbsp Raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
And here is how you do it:
- Preheat your oven to 425*
- Chop your broccoli into florets. Toss in a bowl.
- Add first 2 Tbsp of Sesame Oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss so that broccoli is coated. Dump on a foil covered cookie sheet and slide into oven. Roast until crispy on the outside but becoming tender, turning at least once. Should be 15-20 minutes.
- While waiting for broccoli, create your “dressing.” Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- When broccoli is done, dress it with the almond mixture, and enjoy! Yay!
Chop your broccoli into florets and place in a bowl.
Add first 2 Tbsp of sesame oil, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
Dump onto a foil lined baking sheet and plop in your 425* oven. Roast until crispy and tender…15-20 minutes. Turn at least once for even browning.
Meanwhile, dump the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
Whisk together till creamy!
Broccoli is done! (Honestly…this was so good I could have eaten it as-is!)
Put it on a plate and dress it!!
Sweet, tangy, protein-y, delicious!! Let me know what you think! What would be another great vegetable to use almond butter with?!