I love barbecue! But it is so hard to have healthy barbecue…it seems to always be crammed with sugar! But what are burgers and kebabs and these protein filled classics without a little barbecue sauce?? Well I am so pleased to announce that, through the inspiration of Abel James, I have discovered something that works quite well!! Sweetened with pineapple! YAAAAY! I love pineapple. 😀 So let’s get down to it!!
Here is what you need:
- 3 Tomatoes, cut into about 6 pieces
- 1 White Onion, cut into about 6 pieces
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 6 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 1 C Beef Stock
- 1 – 2 C Fresh Pineapple, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Few Shakes Chipotle Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Franks
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
And here’s how you do it!
- Place tomato chunks, onion chunks, and garlic cloves in a food processor (in batches if necessary) and pulse until “chopped.”
- Dump all ingredients (including what you just pulsed) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for an hour or so.
- Pour sauce back into your food processor and blend until smooth.
Now you are ready to use it how you would any other barbecue sauce!! Soon I will show you how we used it the first time. 🙂
Chunk your tomatoes, onion, and garlic and pulse till chopped.
Put in a pan with the pineapple…
And the rest of the ingredients!!
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 60 minutes.
Put back in your food processor and blend until smooth! This is my fancy food processor I got for Christmas. I love it!
Now you can put it back in your pan to keep it warm, or just get straight to using it however you desire!!
Yummyyyyy! What will you use your healthy barbecue sauce for?!