…my true blog gave to me, a frugal breakfast recipe!!!
Frugal is nice, huh? I know all you mamma’s out there (no, I’m not one yet but I saw it in my mamma, and I know lots of them!) realize that the true stress of Christmas cooking is not necessarily the first Christmas meal, but finding a way to get your family to eat leftovers for a week or more afterwards so that you don’t waste food…and without caving to the chorus of “not that AGAIIIIIIN. I want to eat something new, waaaaah!” Haha, maybe a little dramatic, but you feel me? 🙂 This year I tried my hand at repurposing my left overs, and ended up with a few great ideas! So I thought I’d share a couple of them with you, so here is number one!!!
Home Made Relish Hot Cereal. Sweet and tart. Colorful. Warm. Comforting. And a way to eat leftovers for BREAKFAST!! That’s not typical right there!!! And it’s stupid easy.
If you are a faithful reader, you will know from my Lemon Blueberry Oat Bran post that I have been in love with oat bran. I am kind of an oat meal fan, but rarely finish my bowl cause it just gets overwhelming and the texture isn’t my fave. Then I discovered Oat Bran…which has a texture similar to Malt O Meal, which I grew up on! But can’t seem to find in New York. (However, my mom sent me a box for Christmas haha!! So stoked!!) So I am going to show you this recipe with Oat Bran, but I am convinced it will work with any hot cereal!!
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Serving Oat Bran, or your favorite hot cereal
- 1-2 Spoonfuls Cranberry Orange Relish
- A pad of butter (optional)
- Tbsp of Sweetener of your choice (also optional, if you don’t use it, it will run more tartt. I would add a little honey or agave…though I am uncertain of the health of agave at the moment. It is under scrutiny! Or since there is already sugar in the relish if you want to not worry about the whole health thing…add a big ol’ spoonful of brown sugar and watch it melt!!)
And here’s how you do it. Easiest. Thing. Ever…
- Cook hot cereal according to directions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together.
Whoo!! We made it!! What do you think? Good way to repurpose something that could possibly just rot in the f ridge? I think so 🙂
Isn’t it pretty! Ohhhhh, I bet it would be tasty with some pecans in there too!!