Sounds super fanc, right? Well. It is, haha. And yes, I said “fanc” on purpose. Apparently shortening your words when you speak is really cool, so I’m totes trying it out.
Wow. I don’t know what just happened. Let’s move on.
On to lamb. I LOVE lamb. I had barely had it until this past year. I can honestly say I only remember having it in one dish: gyros. And even then it was not often, and usually mixed half and half with beef. But then I made it for the first time with our Rack of Lamb with Garlicy Pesto…and my life was forever changed. We were HOOKED. However, because of the price tag, we don’t get to enjoy it often. Well. I had a little extra in the grocery budget this month. So I bought a rack of lamb. And did a little happy dance. And discovered this little beauty from myfoodbook.com. And did another happy dance. 🙂
Because of my crazy schedule, I had to wait a few days to cook this, and I almost went mad with anticipation knowing this beautiful piece of meat was waiting for me in the fridge! But I tell you what, it didn’t disappoint! I don’t know how I have gone without lamb for these past few months! Yummy.
So let’s get down to it! Just a little note….the original is served with a garlic yogurt sauce. Mr. Rodgers and I aren’t huge fans of plain Greek yogurt. But I mixed up the sauce in an effort to be brave and try it anyways…and then decided I didn’t want to be brave anymore haha! Then I had an idea…which I am very thankful for. I was already planning on serving this dish with mashed cauliflower…which I usually make creamy with sour cream. So instead of sour cream, I just used my garlic yogurt sauce and BAM! Garlic yogurt mashed cauliflower. EAT IT! No, really. Eat it. Do it. You won’t regret it.
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Rack of Lamb
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Coriander
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1 C Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 – 1 Stick Butter
- 1 Pomegranate
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Almond Flakes
And here’s how you do it:
- Mix together all you seasonings in a small bowl and rub all over your rack of lamb. Set in the fridge until you are ready to cook, preferably about half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat, with the coconut oil in the bottom. We are going for a nice char, so I would make it closer to high heat than medium. HOWEVER, if you don’t like the crispy dark crust on meat…go for more like medium. 🙂
- Toss in your lamb and cook about 2 minutes per side, just till you get your desired amount of char…or “brown.”
- Slide the skillet into your oven and cook about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop your cauliflower into florets and toss into a pot of boiling water until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mince garlic and stir into Greek yogurt.
- Drain cauliflower and dump into a blender, in shifts if needed. Add half a stick of butter or so, your yogurt mixture, salt and pepper, and blend till creamy perfection. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and butter.
- Put a pile of mashed cauliflower on each plate, top with a piece of lamb or two, then sprinkle with pomegranate, almonds, and honey!! DIG IN! Bam!
Chop your cauliflower into florets and toss in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Meanwhile mince garlic and stir into yogurt. Drain cauliflower and toss in a blender with yogurt mixture and about 1/2 cube butter, and salt and pepper. Blend until creamy.
This not only renewed my love for lamb, it also renewed my love for pomegranate. I had given up on pomegranate because I kept trying to drink pomegranate flavored things and never liked it. But I gave it a try for this recipe, and realized just how wonderful and not at all like the “pomegranate flavoring” it was. I had forgotten!