You may be wondering about the title of this post. What the heck do I mean by Chronicles of a Chipotle Pepper?! Good question. Once upon a time, I was given a can of Chipotle Peppers from my former boss when their family PCSed. For those of you who don’t live next door to a military base…that basically means they got orders and moved. Far away from me. Boo. BUT this post is not about my self pity, haha!!! This post is about Chipotle Peppers.
So, I got this can of Chipotle Peppers. I had only used them sparingly before, when they were called for in a recipe. I had never experimented with them before. Quickly I learned that, although the cans are small…they last a long time cause those bad boys be POTENT! The realization hit me that….this one little can of peppers could be the inspiration for like 5 meals, because you really only need one per meal to get the spicy smoky delcioiusness laced throughout the whole meal! So, I officially have 3 meals created from one can of peppers, and at least one more I will soon create with the last pepper or two that I can share with you! How’s that sound?! Good?! Good!! Let’s get down business!
Sidenote…I can’t take credit for a lot of these ideas. I took a facebook “survey…”, more of me just asking my friends “What’s your favorite recipe with chipotle peppers?!” Shout out to Laura Yoder for this beauty!!! 🙂
So, here’s what you need!!
- 1 Package tortillas of choice (Because of the healthy nature of my blog, I went with brown rice tortillas. I discovered corn tortillas seem to have sugar or corn syrup in them…and you all know flour ones are just…not awesome in the health department. ;))
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts
- Taco-y blend of seasonings: You can use my favorite home made taco seasoning recipe, or just do what I did…use what was in the pantry. I went with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin)
- 1 C Plain Greek Yogurt (ish)
- 1 Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce
- Handful fresh Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 lb Black Beans
- 1 C Corn, fresh or frozen
- Toppings of choice, ie lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, extra cilantro, etc…
And here’s how you do it!!!
Boil your black beans according to package instructions. If you want to use a can of black beans you can. I just love how cheap dry beans are. And that they don’t have that mystery sludge in the bottom, haha!!
As you can see, what I did was just cover the breasts in seasoning! Throw in your oven and cook until done and juices run clear. It’s going to depend on how big your chicken is, but usually 30-40 minutes should do it!
Now throw your Greek yogurt, Chipotle Pepper, cilantro, and some of the juice from the lime. Add some salt and pepper, whiz, then taste and adjust. You may want to start with half a pepper if you don’t want it to be really spicy. 🙂
SO there you go….Chipotle Pepper Post Number 1, down!!!
Alright. I have to go now. I am severely distracted by the fact that I am writing this post in the midst of an Audio Adrenaline Rehearsal. Kinda fun, I have loved this band since childhood and they are at my church right now. So, I am going to go now! Thanks for reading guys!!