YES! I have been wanting to post this beauty for so long! But I was devastated by the realization that I didn’t write down the recipe OR the website I based it off of! I didn’t want to make stuff up, but it was just so good that I just HAD to share it with you. I was going to look through the pictures and pray it jogged my memory when I got a text message from my daddy (who, if you have been following my Mediterranean posts you will know is the genius behind these recipes!!) with a link…he found the original!!! I’m so stoked! Let’s not waste time and get down to it, because I know you are going to love this!!
Adapted from greek.food.com.
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, grated (it would probably work minced too, but I grated it just to try because I have never heard of doing that before!)
- 6 (at least) garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 C Parsley, Chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oregano, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary, minced
- AND/OR (if you are low on fresh herbs like we were)
- Tbsp Greek Seasoning
- Tbsp Herbs De Provence or Za’atar
- Bamboo Skewers
And here’s how you do it! (It’s best if you have someone to make it with, it’s a very fun group activity ;))
- Soak your skewers while you prep! You don’t want them to light on fire while on the grill! 😛
- Prep your herbs and veggies as mentioned above.
- Combine everything in a large bowl! (Simple enough, right?!)
- Form into sausage-type shapes and skewer! (See pictures, my daddy shows you how!)
- Place on a preheated grill and cook until you get it just how you want it…works well medium!!
- Serve Gyro style in warm pita with hummus, tzatziki, red onion, lettuce, feta…whatever else you can think of! Great with a good cucumber/tomato salad as well!
Anyways!!! Put those beautiful meats into a large bowl! I don’t know about you, but I love lamb so much!! I can’t believe I went so long without having it in my life!
Add the rest of your ingredients
What did you choose for the herbs?!
Mix it all up with your hands till combined, then make into sausage-like shapes. See my daddy’s mad skills!! I love those hands that are so worn from how hard he has worked for me!
Put 2 – 3 per skewer…
Place on a hot grill and cook until done, medium to well done 🙂 Aren’t they pretty?! Okay, maybe more just….fantastically yummy looking?!
Serve Gyro style in a pita with hummus, tzatziki, red onion, feta, lettuce, etc…whatever you can think of! Oh I guess tomatoes would be good too, hehe. (My faithful followers know they aren’t my fave ;)) Isn’t that so appetizing?!
This is my attempt at an artsy photo. This is my beautiful hunk of kebab in the foreground…with my beautiful hunk of husband and my daddy in the back ground haha!! See how they are DEVOURING?! That’s cause this is FREAKING DELICIOUS! Hehehe…I hope you enjoy!