I know I know. Everyone is “sooooo excited” about the turning leaves, the chill in the air, the fact they can wear sweaters. I just have one thing to say. I won’t admit it until there is frost on my windows. I am not letting summer go. No sir. I am not ready for 8 months of snow to start again. And to make myself feel better, I am posting a SUMMER salad! But really….this would be delicious any season. 😉
Purple cabbage. I didn’t think I liked cabbage. Probably because my dad used to juice it for a “health drink,” then leave the fibers on the counter or in the garbage can…which would have the house smelling rancid within hours. If you want a super health boost, juice cabbage. And throw the leftovers away OUTSIDE! Haha! HOWEVER. When I was following the Maker’s Diet super strictly, I made a Chicken Chickpea Salad that was crammed with veggies. It called for purple cabbage. So I decided to give it a try. It wasn’t so bad! I kinda liked it. And then I started craving it a little. The crunch! The color! Yum! Now I buy a head every time I go to the grocery store and will not make a salad or stir fry without it! In fact, I learned to love it so much that when I found a recipe for a Purple Cabbage Salad…I got super stoked! I adapted it a bit with the addition of chicken since I was going to be using it for lunch and wanted it to have that “you just ate a big meal” feeling haha. The crispyness and savory/sweet thing that happens here is so fantastic! Give it a try!
Adapted from my favorite veggie cookbook, Deliciously Healthy Vegetables! Click here to find out more about it!
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Medium Purple Cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 green apple, thinly sliced (I like to slice it four times around the core so you have a core with all the seeds and stem, and four chunks that can be placed cut side down and easily sliced thinly!! Did that make sense?)
- 1 Red apple, thinly sliced (Fuji would be good too!)
- 2-3 Lg Chicken Breasts
- 1 C Pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 Carrots, Julienned or grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the dressing (you can use your own, but here is one close to the original if you need some inspiration:)
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp agave or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- (You may need to double it if you are going to eat the salad all at once :))
And here’s how you do it!
- Prep your veggies and nuts! Slicey slicey choppy choppy yummy yummy!! Pour a little lemon juice on the apples to keep them from browning, or save slicing them till later 🙂
- Generously salt, pepper, and onion powder your chicken breast. If you want to stretch it farther, slice each breast in half long ways. They will cook faster and look like more chicken once you slice it.
- Now cook the chicken how you desire; grill pan, grill, or oven. Whisk together the honey and lemon juice and baste the chicken generously before and while cooking. Cooking time will obviously depend on how you choose to cook it, and whether you sliced it in half or not. Just make sure the juices run clear. If you are grilling, just be careful unless the flames like the honey 😉
- Combine everything in a bowl. You can toss it, or simply pile things on in layers…or try and make a flower with the apple slices like I did, haha! I would recommend making enough dressing for a few servings and have each person drizzle it on themselves, because you will most likely have some left over and you don’t want it to lose its crispiness. 🙂
- Eat and enjoy!! Crunch crunch, yum yum…healthy!!
Prep your veggies and nuts! Slicey slicey!
Here’s how I did the cabbage if it helps. Cut it in half, then thinly slice!
Now season your chicken generously with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
Cook however you choose; grill, grill pan, or oven. Whisk together equal parts of honey and lemon juice and baste the chicken before and during cooking. If you are grilling, just be careful unless the flames like the honey 😉
You can leave it like this…
Yummmmm! Or like this…
Whatever you think is prettier…tossed or stacked!!! And…here is my sad attempt at making a pretty apple flower salad hahahahahaa!
So, what do you think? Do you love purple cabbage as much as I do?! Try this salad and let me know!!