These are a few of my favorite thiiiiings!!! I just got that song in my head, because of this salad. This is pulling from the archives, but I felt it was time for a nice big hearty salad recipe; it’s been a while. However it has been long enough that I was studying the picture to help me remember exactly what I put in it…and I found myself thinking “what did I put in this salad other than beef and swiss? Well…my favorite things!!” Then without warning my mind was transported to a dance scene with the Van Trapps, haha. Anywho. Back to food.
This salad was fantastic. It was one from the very beginning of our Maker’s Diet adventure, in fact it was adapted right from perfectweightamerica.com! It was also one of the first days of summer last year…and I was still nannying. I had put the baby to bed for her nap and went outside, sat on the wicker furniture, soaked in the sunshine that really wasn’t all that warm yet…and ate my salad and felt sooooooo good. 🙂 I was surprised how happy it made me! You should try it so it can make you happy too! 🙂 Oh, and, as always…feel free to play with it!! More or less of what you like….add things….have fun with it! Salads are a great canvas! This will stuff you…yay for healthy lunches that stuff you!!!
So…here’s what you need!
- 1 Heart Romaine, rinsed and chopped or ripped into bite size pieces
- A couple handfuls of spinach or mixed greens
- 1/2 lb(ish) deli roast beef, sliced into strips
- 1/4-1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 Cucumber, sliced
- Dressing of choice (my favorite includes EVOO, AC Vinegar, Lemon Juice, tiny bit of Greek Yogurt, Dijon Mustard, and Sriracha!)
- Swiss Cheese, grated to taste (I believe I used about 3 oz)
- 1 Avocado, sliced
And, here’s how you do it. (honestly, I don’ think this needs directions haha)
- Get your eggs boiling.
- Rinse and cut all your veggies, meat, and cheese accordingly.
- Put lettuce and greens in a large bowl and top with other ingredients. Toss if you desire.
- Mix up your dressing (or take a bottle out of the fridge). Dress each serving separately because this is a large salad and you don’t want it to get wilty…cause you can eat it for lunch tomorrow too!
- Eat and be amazed. Tasty, so your “buds” are satisfied. Filling, so your tummy is satisfied. And yet healthy, so you don’t feel like you have bricks in your gut. PERFECT for hot summer days!!
Here’s some pictures, to show you how crazy easy this is 😉
Make sure your eggs are boiled or boiling. Prep your veggies, slice your beef and grate your cheese. And theeeeen…