Tostadas with Spanish Rice!! Ohhhh yum!!! This is from my dear friend Carmen!! This came about because our men were at a bachelor party doing man things, smoking their cigars (I’ll never understand what they see in those) and playing poker…and our party had long been over so we came to my little home to hang out until they were done, haha! As we sat there chatting and just getting to know one another better, we discovered something. We both LOVE cooking…and watching Food Network! I was so excited to have a foodie in my house that could understand my passion! Suddenly I realized…it has been way too long since I have featured a Chef of Honor, and I had one sitting right in front of me! So I asked if she would sent me a recipe to feature! She was super excited!! These Tostadas with Spanish Rice are truly something special, because Carmen can cook pretty much anything well, but whenever she offers to cook her boyfriend and his family dinner, without hesitation they all beg for this meal!! And now the secret is out and you all get to see what all the hype is about!!! Try it out!! This is also awesome because you get a two for one deal!!! Are you read? I’m ready!!! Here ya gooooooo!
Sideote…I have heard a rumor that she also makes her own refried beans…perhaps I will have to bother her for that recipe too!!!
So, here’s what you need:
1 pkg corn tortillas
4 cups vegetable oil
16 oz can refried beans
Beef or pork chorizo
2 cups white rice
½ cup chopped white onion
1 tsp butter
1-4oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp chicken bouillon
4 cups water
Procedure: (Prepare rice 1st because it takes the longest)
- Allow butter to melt into a sauce pan
- Add white rice to sauce pan to lightly brown rice
- Add white onion until softened and allow rice to brown a little more
- Add tomato sauce and water to sauce pan
- Add chicken bouillon
- Cover sauce pan and allow rice to cook on a low flame for approximately 20 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed
- After properly cooked, add salt to desired taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan with a medium flame
- Place one corn tortilla into heated vegetable oil and using tongs, soak tortilla in oil and flip until both sides are brown
Place corn tortilla onto a paper towel to soak up excess oil when removed from vegetable oil
- In another pan, cook chorizo until a noticeable color change
- Add chorizo to refried beans and allow to warm up on a low flame
- Spread bean-chorizo mixture on a fried corn tortilla, add shredded cheese and lettuce to top
- Optional: Family tradition is to added salsa and/or sour cream to top of tostada
Don’t you want to eat that right now?! I know I do!! It looks like something you would get at a restaurant!
Super yum! Try it out and let us know what you think!!