Um, yeah. Yum. I’m not usually one for the whole chicken salad thing. I like to stick to egg salad, cause I like my chicken to be hot. Well. Sheesh. This recipe makes me feel dumb for making that conclusion. This was so fantastic I was tempted to eat it with a spoon, and not share any with my husband. But, seeing as this blog is dedicated to Feeding Mr. Rodgers…and also the fact that it would be mean…I decided to share, haha!! He loved it too! I am totally on an avocado kick right now, so pulling up this recipe from my archives makes me want to throw down my computer and make it RIGHT NOW! YUMMMMYYY! It’s also perfect for chicken leftovers! I love roasting a whole chicken and eating it for dinner one night, then re-purposing the left overs in a recipe like this! Why talk about it any more? Let’s get to it so you can partake of this amazingness!!
I have to admit, I made this salad in a hurry, and the ingredients just sounded so perfect, so I didn’t change a thing! So ALL credit goes to Kalyn’s Kitchen, a lovely blog I found through Pinterest! To see the original click here! Kalyn…you are a genius. That is all 🙂
So, here’s what you need:
- 2 C Cooked and Shredded Chicken (Very conveniently, I used leftover Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken)
- 2 Avocados, Diced (Not too small if you are like me and like chunks of avocado!)
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice, Divided (1-2 Limes)
- 1/4 C Green Onion, Thinly sliced
- 1/2 C Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Mayo
And here’s how you do it:
- Prep everything as instructed in the ingredients.
- Toss your cubes of avocado with 1 Tbsp of the fresh lime juice. This should keep them from turning brown as you prep 🙂
- Mix the last 1 Tbsp of lime juice with the Mayo. This is going to be your dressing! Doesn’t sound like much but the combination with the salad ingredients is PHENOMENALLLLLL!
- Mix the chicken, green onion, and dressing together in a large bowl.
- Add in the avocado, cilantro, and salt to taste and gently mix till everything is combined…don’t mix so much that your avocado cubes break down!
- You’re ready to go! Wasn’t that easy! Now serve…in a sammich, in a pita, in a tortilla, on chips, in a halved avocado…the possibilities are endless.
I don’t have many pictures, because of the quick nature in which this meal was prepared, and because I was serving them in cauliflower tortillas…which didn’t end up working all that great, which made me super sad. I hate it when recipes fall apart! Anywho, needless to say the fact that my tortillas were falling apart made my pictures not so pretty…but let me tell you…it was freaking delicious and we would have eaten it without anything else, haha! Please try, and enjoy!
Put it in your bowl…and mix it! So tasty, creamy, and delicious!!