My husband had long ago decided that he did not like spaghetti squash. No sir. Didn’t like it. And then he tried this.
He changed his mind. 😀 I love it when I can change peoples’ minds about a food. It makes me feel like such a success 😀 I’ve left my print on the world!! Ohhh hey…that would be a good show for Food Network. “I Didn’t Like….” A competition to see which chef can change a picky person’s mind. Ha! I’m a genius. Someone should hire me, haha.
This was a fantastic side dish for steak!! It had that creamy, garlicy, cheesy satisfaction without the carb-filled pasta. So tasty and quite healthy!!! Yes it has a bit of cheese…but Parmesan is one of the best health wise! 🙂
One more fun thing about this recipe!! I have never been too good at making sure spaghetti squash get cooked all the way. Just being honest here. Well, because of this wonderful book, Everything Gluten Free Slow Cooker Cookbook, I finally NAILED IT! That’s right. I cooked the spaghetti squash in a crock pot!!! I love my crock pot, it helps me time things!!! Yaaaay!! I hope that thought will be a great tip for your kitchen too!!!! You simply pierce the squash a few times, put it in the crock pot, and pour in a small amount of water, about 3/4 C and cook on low for 7 or 8 hours 🙂
Adapted from http://ahealthymakeover.blogspot.jp
So, here’s what you need:
- 1 Large or Medium Spaghetti Squash, cooked and shredded
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, Minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3/4 C Vegetable or Chicken Broth, Preferably Low Sodium
- 1/3 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Grated Fresh Parmesan…my 1/2 C was generous 🙂
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
And here’s how you do it!!!
- Get your spaghetti squash cooked!! If you want to try my new method, start the morning of, poke a few holes and place in a crock pot with about 3/4 C of water. Cook on low about 8 hours. Cut in half and shred squash with a fork. You can also cut in half and bake cut side down in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes to an hour or even microwave about 12 minutes if you’re in a hurry!
- Melt butter or coconut oil over Medium heat. Saute onions until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook about a minute more.
- Toss in the cooked spaghetti squash and stir so your tasty garlicy bits are incorporated throughout.
- Add the broth and almond milk and stir in.
- Add the parmesan and stir in. If it is too runny, let it reduce for a few minutes.
- Add parsley, salt, and pepper, stir, and serve hot aaaaaaand delicious!!
So simple, and yet such delicious, classic flavors! Perfect mid week side dish!
Pour your water into the crock pot!
Stab the squash and place it in.
And cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4). Cut in half, remove the seeds, and shred with a fork.
Now this is where things got crazy and the pictures had to pause. Hahaha.
Melt your butter in a pan over medium heat and saute your onions until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and saute for about a minute more. Toss in your cooked squash and stir. Add liquids and stir. Then add parmesan and stir. Lastly, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Now serve!! This is one of those great things that could be a main dish or a side dish! It’s just…all around glorious!! I hope you enjoy!!