I’m not exaggerating when I say this is easy. Honestly, in my opinion…roasting any veggie is pretty easy. And probably the tastiest way to make them too. So you can’t really go wrong! This is probably your best bet in getting picky eaters to get their nutrients, too! Instead of having mushy greens from accidentally over boiling or steaming… you have them crispy, vibrant green, and with the flavors cooked in the whole time instead of added at the end! Yum!! Honestly…you can do this simply with salt and pepper, and it’s delicious. But, like my pal Emeril, I like to kick it up a notch!! So here’s my typical flavor combo, please try!!!
This recipe is fantastic simply as a delicious side dish for your protein. Personally I think asparagus is pretty hearty, so it’s good for everything from complimenting a good steak all the way to making a light fish dish that much more satisfying and hunger-filling. However, it is also a perfect add in for main dishes!!! What do I mean you ask? Have you ever had asparagus bits in a white sauce with noodles?! OH MY GOSH! Or…as I am going to show you in a few days…on top of a healthy, guilt-free pizza! That’s right! Be watching for it, because every post this week will be building up to it…my masterpiece that I am definitely the most proud of to date! And I am hoping my hard work and experimenting will save you from the process…and satisfy your pizza cravings without giving you a heart attack! Yay longer life to spend with the people you love! Yaaaaay! So with that said…step one…on to roasted asparagus!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 Bunch Asparagus
- Seasonings of choice, mine being: Salt, Pepper, Mrs. Dash, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Chili Powder or Red Pepper Flakes!!
- 1 Tbsp(ish) Olive Oil
And here’s what you do!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and trim your asparagus. How I was taught to do this was to start bending the stalk, and wherever it pops off naturally is the best place to trim it! Toss the bottom part, and keep the top. You don’t have to do it that way, because it will seem like you are discarding quite a bit of it. However…not once since I have started doing it that way have I had one of those unpleasant, tough, stringy bites of asparagus that were frequent when I trimmed it any other way 🙂
- Line a cookie sheet with foil if you desire quicker clean up.
- Toss the asparagus in a bowl (or you can do it right on the cookie sheet, up to you), drizzle with olive oil, and toss till each piece has a coating.
- Sprinkle GENEROUSLY with every spice! I literally shake it until there is a coating on the entire shown surface. Shake it. Haha. Yeah that’s right. If you’re going to shake it, where better than your kitchen?! Put on Spotify and SHAKE IT! The spices of course, sicko. Get your mind out of the gutter. Geesh.
- Toss again until the spices are evenly dispersed.
- Slide it into your oven and roast, anywhere between 10 and 25 minutes. I know that sounds like a big difference in those numbers…but I also know there is a big difference in asparagus sizes! Basically you want to be able to pick up a piece with tongs and have it still hold it’s shape, but be starting to go limp!
Want to see? 🙂 Let me show you. First, preheat your oven to 400. Then, choose your spices. Like I said, my favorites are sea salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder or red pepper flakes. Pepper not shown.
Rinse the asparagus and trim off the ends. Lay them in a bowl, or right on the pan you are going to be roasting on if you so desire. Feel free to cover the pan with foil for easier clean up.
Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat each piece. Now sprinkle on your spices to taste…like I said…I do a generous coating!! Toss again to disperse the seasonings evening.
Roast till they are starting to get limp, but still have a crispness. You should be able to pick one up with tongs, and see it going limp but still hold its shape…your tongs should not squish through the stalk. Make since? If they are tiny, it could take as little as 10 minutes…but for the more normal, larger size it will take more toward 20/25 minutes 🙂
Now scoop on plates beside your main dish, or mix it in to a main dish! It is so great chopped into pieces and added into things, or wrapped up in a chicken breast with melty mozzarella….ahhhhh! Stay tuned for it being a star in my healthy pizza! Just a few more posts 🙂 Yay!