We eat a lot of salads in this house. Not puny salads. No sir. Salads that will fill your tummy, and ignite your taste buds!! Salads that you can be EXCITED about!!! Yeah that’s right. We get excited about salads. I don’t think that means we are weirdos. I think that means that salads are under appreciated ..and we have discovered some fantastic ones! This one…I haven’t had time to write about yet…but have already made probably three times. I love it so much. I asked Mr. Rodgers what his favorite salad is that we make. He ended up telling me that he loves the cheese balls from our Pear and Cheese Ball Salad, but that over all…this one is so delicious and filling that he would have to say it get’s the title of his favorite!
Here is what you need:
- 2 Hearts Romaine, chopped or torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 Good Handfuls of Spinach (approximately…cause let’s just be honest, all of our hands are different sizes!)
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 Bell Pepper of your favorite color, sliced. I even did half green, half red once. It was great!
- 1/4-1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced. Again, I must say I believe red onion is something to use “to taste”
- 1/4 Head of Red Cabbage, sliced
- 1 Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed. OR a cup or more of dry chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked over night and simmered for two hours.
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts
- Herbamare Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Some of your favorite dressing, or a recipe of my favorite home made vinaigrette.
Mrs. Rodgers’ favorite vinaigrette! Though it is entirely out of character for me, I DON’T MEASURE THINGS FOR THIS DRESSING! But it is FABULOUS! So feel free to give it a try!!! 🙂
- Olive Oil, about 1/4 C depending on how many servings you are eating at once!
- A squeeze of Flax Oil
- A spoonful of sour cream
- A spoonful of Dijon Mustard
- A glug of Vinegar of choice
- A glug of Lemon Juice
- Hot Sauce to taste
And here’s how you do it:
- Heat your grill or grill pan.
- Slice your chicken breasts in half long ways so that they cook faster, and it gives the impression that there is a lot more chicken than there really is 😉
- Season the chicken breasts liberally with Herbamare and black pepper.
- Grill the breasts till done, it wont take long since they’re halved. It probably takes about 5 minutes per side on my little grill pan.
- Remove chicken and let cool.
- Prepare your veggies and place in a large bowl.
- Chop your chicken and add.
- Toss in the chickpeas.
- Prepare whatever dressing you desire to use. Toss the salad, place on serving plates and top with dressing, OR do it all together in a bowl. I usually eat this for lunches over a week, so I make a small recipe of dressing at a time and combine it after I have portioned out what I want 🙂
Not too hard, right? And one of the most satisfying salads you will ever eat! I actually wake up excited for lunch when I know this is planned!!! TRY IT! It’s phenomenal 🙂
Just in case you don’t know what Herbamare is, here you go!!! It is a seasoned sea salt that adds a kick to your food 🙂 And it’s alllllllll natural baby!
Slice your chicken breasts in half long ways, and season well with herbamare and pepper. Grill until done, mine took about 5 minutes per side 🙂
Prep your veggies!!! That’s a lot of veggies…and a lot of nutrients! Yeah baby!!! Feel free to add or subtract…play with the recipe! Salads are flexible!