I’ve had lots of brownies. Lot’s of fancy things, with extras added; caramel, oreos, marshmallows, frosting, peanut butter…but let me be honest, none of them cut it for me. I am ruined. Totally ruined. That’s what happens when your mamma refuses to use a box, and puts lots of love in her cooking! These…are Beth’s Brownies. No, Beth is not my mom. Beth is my cousin’s wife’s mom. Confusing much? Ha. But we use Beth’s recipe for brownies, cause it’s heavenly. It’s what we ate all growing up, probably our most popular dessert!! Especially topped with vanilla bean ice cream, Mrs. Richardson’s hot fudge….and as many maraschino cherries as the parents would let you take out of the jar! Oh, and sometimes we’d pour some of the maraschino cherry juice out on top of the ice cream too!!! Mmmm. I love family traditions….and even though most of them are full of gluten…I will oblige occasional. For memory’s sake of course. Or for an excuse to eat something soooooooooo wonderful.
What’s so great about these brownies? Well, the chocolate chips make them extra chocolatey…they stay super moist in the middle…and the top gets a great, flaky crust. Oh my gosssshhhhhhh I wish I could eat them right now. I took these to a friend’s house for Valentine’s Day…unfortunately in the joy of the evening I forgot to take some pictures of our lovely sundaes…but I got you pictures of them in the pan at least before we left!!! You will see the yummy crust. Mmmmmmm. So you can thank Kirkwood Family Tradition for this BEAUTY!
Note: This is definitely not a gluten free dessert…so if you are looking for a good gluten free dessert, please go visit my new friend at glutenfreegus.com. Holy cow, they make some phenomenal gluten free treats over there!!! In fact…give them a follow while you are at it!! EVERY post I get from them on my reader makes me want to drool! Like seriously. Check out this Coffee Crunch Cake they made! Anyways. Back to warm, gooey, flaky gluten-y brownies 🙂
Here’s what you need:
- 4 Eggs
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or if you are cool like me and run out…1 tsp Vanilla Schnapps bahahahaa!)
- 1 C Flour
- 3/4 C Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Cubes Butter, Melted
- 2 C Chocolate Chips
And here’s how you do it:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs until they are getting fluffy.
- While continuously beating, slowly add your sugar until very fluffy!! This is the secret right here!! You want to get it as fluffy as you possibly can!!! Don’t rush it, cause you want the wonderful texture 🙂
- Add vanilla and mix in.
- Stop blending for a second and add in the flour and cocoa. You are gonna want to mix this by hand a few strokes before you turn the blender back on…or you will be covered in flour and cocoa. Unless you go for that kind of look 😉 Then mix with the blender until it is well blended.
- Blend in melted butter.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into an ungreased 9X13 baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out “fairly” clean. Those are my mom’s words 😉 It can be hard to tell, cause you may have poked a melty chocolate chip, so try a couple spots. Probably somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes, but I always start checking before that. I like my desserts a little gooey. Enjoy! This is seriously a delicious brownie!!!!
Here’s my eggs and sugar, beating beating beating….IT’S SO FLUFFY I’M GONNA DIE!!! 😉
Sweet action shot, ha!! 😉 And these are them hot out of the oven! I was going to take them out and make a pretty little plate for you all to see, but…I have this thing about serving desserts that have already been partially eaten or cut or something. Not that my wonderful friends, Costa and Karen, would care if one brownie was missing…but I would. I would. Plus…let’s just be honest here…it was Valentines Day…I had other things on my mind than getting a good picture of brownies. Sorry 😉 See my little poke holes where I tested with a toothpick? It’s vital! 😉 And do you see that crazy, crispy, flaky crust?! But inside…oh, inside…pure, warm, gooey, delicious, chocolately bliss!! Ohhhh man you must try this and tell me what you think! 😀 😀 😀