So, for the most part, this new healthy eating lifestyle has been so satisfying…it has almost been shocking! Mr. Rodgers and I barely ever feel like we are missing out! However, I do have to admit…I am not perfect yet, and I do still get an occasional craving. Naughty cravings… My most common one? Probably…CHEESEBURGERS. Big, juicy, flavorful cheeseburgers.
I just had a song pop in my head…anyone who is a 90’s kid from a church family is going to know what song it is before I even say it…. “Cause you’re his cheeseburger, his lovely cheeseburger, he’ll wait for you-hoo, oh he’ll wait for you-hoo…” Alright, who can tell me what that quote is from?! Heheheheeee….
ANYWAYS. Sorry. I’m enjoying myself too much. The kids I watch have been sleeping in till like 8 this week…I don’t know what to do with the extra sleep I’m getting! WOOOOOOOOOO! So, back to what I was saying. Cheeseburger cravings. Dirty, carb-y, calorie-y, gluten-y, bacon-y, processed-y cheeseburger cravings. But guess what?! This may not be quite the same, since I nixed the cheese and the bun, but…I found a burger on the meal plan! And I simply adored the flavor!! I didn’t have ANYTHING on it, not even some of the approved cheese or dijon mustard. This bad boy stood on its own! Husband used some mustard and loved it too 🙂 Please, I beg of you, read on!!!
Note: Please forgive my lack of flair in the photos. If you ever see lame photos, that most likely means that I worked all day, took husband to his second job, worked on my computer, ran 3 miles, then got home at 9 or 10 to make dinner before collapsing into bed to wake up and do it over again!! Whee! Those days don’t happen quite as often the past couple of weeks, but when they do…I just don’t have much creativity left in me when it comes to taking pictures of my food. Sorry. I usually just wanna feed myself and the man because we can’t think straight haha! But despite the photos, this recipe is so worth checking out! Slightly adapted from perfectweightamerica.com 🙂
- 1 lb Ground Beef (preferably grass fed)
- 1 tsp Honey (preferably raw, but I used normal)
- 1 tsp Ginger (I recommend paste, it works well distributing through the meat)
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Amino Acids or Tamari GF Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Are you getting excited yet?! Don’t those ingredients just sound like a recipe for beauty?! They are!! What an explosion of flavor, mixing Asian flavors with “American” favorites. GENIUS! Okay, enough talking, here is how you do it:
- Whisk together everything but the beef until it is well incorporated. Note: If you so desire, you can add some salt here…the original called for 1 tsp salt. I thought that sounded crazy since there is a large amount of soy sauce in it. I put in about 1/2 tsp of salt, but don’t think it needed it!
- Pour liquids over your beef, take off your rings, and squish it all together with your hands. Mmmmmm teryaki hands!
- Form into patties, I made 4!
- Heat a saute pan or grill pan (or outdoor grill when it FINALLY gets to summer 🙂 ) to medium, and cook about 5 minutes per side…but really, however long to get it to your favorite “doneness.” If I remember right, I believe ours were about medium 🙂
- Top with things you love! Tomatoes? Onions? Sauteed onions and mushrooms? Cheddar? Bacon (turkey of course, if you’re trying to be good :P)? Lettuce? Pickles? If you don’t care about gluten, carbs, or grains…go ahead and eat it on a bun! But really…try the patty before you do that since it’s a powerful flavor, you may just wanna eat it as is like I did 😉 Oh I do so hope you love this recipe 🙂