Wow. Wow wow wow wow! I had never experienced Chinese Five Spice before. As soon as I opened the bottle and sniffed it…I knew we were a match made in Heaven. Add some fun veggies…and wow…make your tummy smile! I love the classic flavor of just a simple veggie saute, but I tell you what…it was SO nice to discover something DIFFERENT! It was a beautiful dish….the colors, the flavor, the speckling of herbs. Mmmm! I love it when I can get excited about veggies!!!! You should be excited too, cause I’m about to tell you how to make it for yourself! Yeah baby!!!
So, here’s what you need!
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 C basil leaves, julienned (or a few good squirts of paste, obviously fresh is probably better here)
- 1 C carrots, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce or Amino Acids
- 1/2 Bulb Fennel, sliced
- 1 Cup Mange Tout Peas
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Chili Sauce. I used Sriracha. It called for Sambal Oelek.
- 1/2 C Cilantro leaves (or a few squirts of paste)
- 1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, julienned
- 1 C babycorn, optional. I didn’t have it in mine and it was still great!
And here’s how you do it:
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the coconut oil in a wok or large pan (highish heat)
- Saute carrots and fennel and saute until tender-crisp.
- Add bell pepper and saute a few minutes longer.
- Add additional coconut oil, peas, and corn and give it a stir.
- Add liquids and Five Spice (and herb pastes if you don’t have fresh), stir so everything is coated. Let it cook until it reduces.
- Take off the heat, stir in fresh herbs, and serve!