So, my husband has been reading this book called Perfect Weight America by Jordan Rubin. I’m learning so much just from the little things he has shared with me! And it has just confirmed my feelings that health is not based on a number, but instead what you are putting in your body and how you are taking care of yourself!!
So, feeling much inspired, we have gotten a free membership on http://perfectweightamerica.com (you should check out the website!) and as of yesterday started a 16 week detox diet plan. At first I was devastated that my blogging career would end so quickly, since I would have to be eating gross pre-planned food. Then last night I ate this meal. And changed my mind. SO YUM!! And perfect to eat after trudging through piles of snow to get in our car and gather groceries! Mmmm. Let me share this gem with you!
These flavor combinations are stinking fantastic! It hits you in waves of warm coconut, lime, ginger, and rich green onion!! Ah! I’m getting too excited, so I’ll just tell you how to make it so you can share my enthusiasm!
Just one note before you move on: the Perfect Weight America plan has you eating organic, seeing as everything else ends up with chemicals in it. Because of this I labeled everything organic, but if you are an average Joe like us Rodgers’, organic may be out of the price range. Just do what you can and get as much organic as possible, that’s what we did!!
What you need:
- 3-4 free range chicken breasts, depending on size or just how “meaty” you like your soups, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 bunch green onions, organic, sliced
- 1 T ginger, organic, paste or peeled and chopped (I used the paste that you can get in the produce section by the herbs…its easier to deal with and is made with organic ginger!)
- 3 jalapenos, or 2 serranos, organic, seeded and chopped real small
- 6 Cups Organic, Free Range Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 C coconut milk, organic
- 4 T lime juice, organic
- 1 C cilantro, organic, chopped
Here’s what to do:
- Get your big soup pot, and put it over medium heat! Melt your coconut oil.
- Add in your onions and saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. It should start smelling real good before too long!
- Toss in your chicken and brown it slightly. This isn’t 100% necessary but I usually brown my meat before letting it simmer and cook in soups!
- Add the ginger and jalapenos/serranos and give it a good stir to get everything evenly coated.
- Add lime juice, coconut milk, and chicken broth. Stir it up and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for an hour or so, letting the chicken cook and the flavors meld together!
- Top with cilantro! Yummy! Enjoy a guilt free evening knowing that you satisfied your taste buds and your body isn’t in distress cause of your meal 🙂